News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Blore Heath info?

Started by Dave Knight, April 15, 2020, 02:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Knight

Whilst waiting for Boardmans book on the 1st Battle of St Albans to arrive I decided to have a shot at Blore Heath.  The Military Campaigns of the Wars of the Roses plus the usual wikipedia article (copied in several locations) is all I have been able to find.

Any other sugestions?  This looks a difficult one with a feigned retreat and cavalry charges through a brook!

Erpingham

Have you got Paddy Griffith (ed) The battle of Blore Heath, 1459 ?  As it is from 1995, you may have in your pre 2000 collection.

If not, notable for reprint of Col. Twemloe's 1912 book on the subject which contained one of the earliest attempts to reconstruct a WOTR battlefield based on medieval land records.  Also contains translations of sources.  And a nice picture on the front of Audley and retinue charging across the brook.

Add : If you find this hard to find, Twemloe's original is online here

Dave Knight

Thanks for your help again much appreciated.  I could not find the Griffiths book to buy so downloaded from the link and will peruse at my leisure 😀