News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Article on bog bodies!

Started by Imperial Dave, March 04, 2018, 08:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

https://mikedashhistory.com/2016/09/04/the-bodies-in-the-bogs/

Starts off with the grisly story of the Old Groghan Man bog find in Ireland but also encompasses other bog body burials
Slingshot Editor

Anton

Interesting article.  I see the sacred kingship theory gets an airing not that I'm a fan of it.  It's possible, no more than that, that the well fed and manicured giant was a high status prisoner delivered up by his own folk as the price of peace or survival and subsequently spectacularly slaughtered.  A bit like Vercingetorix was post surrender.

The high proportion of disabled folk found brought to mind the Irish law texts and made me wonder if some of the able bodied found might have suffered mental illness.  The latter found it hard to operate within the rule bound nature of later Irish society and caused financial hardship to their kin for their involuntary transgressions.  I tend to the view that the same rules and dynamics likely pertained earlier too. Mostly they ended up in the retinues of kings which largely protected them from outright assault or worse.  Sometimes though it seems that they were first in line to be handed over as a cĂ­mbid in the circumstances outlined above.  Not a happy thought.

Imperial Dave

I tend to agree Stephen

Mission of The Darians anyone?
Slingshot Editor