News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Viking scholars ‘thrilled’ by discovery of Celtic ornament in Norway

Started by Imperial Dave, April 27, 2021, 08:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougM

It was nice they brought back a holiday souvenir for the missus.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on April 27, 2021, 01:50:41 PM
::)

I suspect it's more likely a little something for the missus than something dropped by a wandering evangelist.  ;)

Erpingham

So, just checking.  All this Viking raiding was more like a package tour business and the various hoards are just souvenirs and piles of foreign currency that have been mislaid?

Mick Hession

Exactly. Those piles of Muslim and Frankish coins in hoards are actually local currency left over from such trips.

Cheers
Mick

Imperial Dave

That's the trouble with foreign coins....so hard to change them back after a trip  :)
Slingshot Editor

DougM

Quote from: Erpingham on April 27, 2021, 04:04:25 PM
So, just checking.  All this Viking raiding was more like a package tour business and the various hoards are just souvenirs and piles of foreign currency that have been mislaid?

You should see all the cute little donkeys with oranges they brought back from that Andalusian trip...
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Jim Webster

Quote from: DougM on April 27, 2021, 06:38:49 PM

You should see all the cute little donkeys with oranges they brought back from that Andalusian trip...

Laughing outloud at the computer means that my lady wife is giving me a slightly worried look :-)

DougM

Quote from: Jim Webster on April 27, 2021, 06:44:04 PM

Laughing outloud at the computer means that my lady wife is giving me a slightly worried look :-)

Well Jim, I feel that any laugh I might occasion would be but poor exchange for the many laughs your writing has given me.

Jim Webster

Quote from: DougM on April 27, 2021, 08:29:10 PM
Quote from: Jim Webster on April 27, 2021, 06:44:04 PM

Well Jim, I feel that any laugh I might occasion would be but poor exchange for the many laughs your writing has given me.

:)