News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Earliest plague in Britain in Bronze Age teeth

Started by Duncan Head, May 30, 2023, 05:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

speaking of which I am on antibiotics that are normally used for treating this
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Sounds nasty.  Here's wishing for a speedy recovery.

Imperial Dave

treating the symptoms not the underlying cause unfortunately
Slingshot Editor

Ian61

Interesting, I am out of date on some of this I had thought the Justinian plague was the first we knew about. On a similar topic I have been listening to an excellent series on the radio called Pathogenisis which makes links between history and pathogens. Whilst I knew some of the topics from my reading around history and/or science there were still some interesting new bits I hadn't known.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Ian61

Should have said series is actually an abridged version of the book of the same name by Dr Jonathan Kennedy that I think I will have to get and read in full.
Ian Piper

Imperial Dave

thanks for the info Ian. I am generally quite interested in stuff like this
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Ian61 on May 31, 2023, 10:38:59 AMShould have said series is actually an abridged version of the book of the same name by Dr Jonathan Kennedy that I think I will have to get and read in full.

Does he resolve "Sweating Sickness" by any chance?  It's one of the great disease mysteries of the medieval world.

Ian61

Quote from: Erpingham on May 31, 2023, 12:56:57 PMDoes he resolve "Sweating Sickness" by any chance?  It's one of the great disease mysteries of the medieval world.

Not in what I have heard - but I have only listened to the first 4 episodes so far, there is a fifth episode in my in tray and I don't know how many total but I know he is going to get to last century and current Covid stuff.
Ian Piper

Ian61

Just 5 brief episodes, I have sent for the book as I suspect it will contain far more, will post elsewhere when it comes. One of my all time heroes, John Snow gets a mention - you will probably not know/remember that I used to use a photo of the handleless pump in front of the John Snow Pub as my avatar on the forum.
Ian Piper

Nick Harbud

...and I thought it was just the way you walked.

;D
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Nick Harbud on June 02, 2023, 09:16:57 AM...and I thought it was just the way you walked.

;D

I thought that was lawnmowers?