News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Recent publications on Wars of the Roses Battles

Started by Dave Knight, April 13, 2020, 10:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Knight

You may have picked up from other threads that I have a project to refight the Wars of the Roses Battles.  I am also very interested in the history of the period and am trying to get up to speed with the latest research.

Most of my books on the period are pre 2000.  I have the first edition of Phillip Haigh's The Military Campaigns of the Wars of the Roses which seems to be generally a good starting point.  However recent purchases of Inghams Bosworth and Evans Edgcote books show how things have moved on in terms of understanding the battles.

Are there any other recent publications that I should consider?  I have Northampton on order.

Erpingham

Post 2000 but not particularly recent (2006) Andrew Boardman The First Battle of St Albans 1455.  St Albans I has the advantage of being well recorded for a WOTR battle and its topography is clear, so a reasonable reconstruction can be made.

Dave Knight

St Albans is available from Amazon for a fiver so I have ordered that one.  My book buying has increased somewhat since lockdown the problem is going to be storing them all🤔

Erpingham

Quote from: Dave Knight on April 13, 2020, 11:05:47 AM
My book buying has increased somewhat since lockdown the problem is going to be storing them all🤔

Options include a house extension, a loft conversion or a wargaming shed in the garden, depending on budget.  Or wait till kids leave home :)

Imperial Dave

one of mine has left the house......already turned into office, painting area and 2nd library mwhahahaha...... ;D
Slingshot Editor

Denis Grey

Quote from: Holly on April 13, 2020, 11:18:38 AM
one of mine has left the house......already turned into office, painting area and 2nd library mwhahahaha...... ;D

And they'd only gone out for their hour's exercise.

Erpingham

Quote from: Denis Grey on April 13, 2020, 05:04:47 PM

When my final daughter left home, she was horrified that trestle tables arrived only a couple of days later :) 

Jim Webster

Quote from: Erpingham on April 13, 2020, 05:12:03 PM
Quote from: Denis Grey on April 13, 2020, 05:04:47 PM

When my final daughter left home, she was horrified that trestle tables arrived only a couple of days later :)

Days! I'm surprised you weren't carrying them into the house as she was walking out of it  ;)