News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Thracian finds in Bulgaria

Started by Swampster, May 03, 2020, 10:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Nice find and a detailed write up too
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

QuoteThe horseman is said to be a deity.

The six legged horse is a bit of a giveaway.

Duncan Head

Quote from: Swampster on May 03, 2020, 10:57:57 PMIs that a 'xyston' length weapon he is using?
Nice. Bearing in mind that the find is probably from the 3rd century AD, and it is suggested that the deceased may have been a Roman army veteran, the horseman reminds me of portrayals of Roman contarii.
Duncan Head

Swampster

Quote from: Erpingham on May 04, 2020, 08:46:34 AM
QuoteThe horseman is said to be a deity.

The six legged horse is a bit of a giveaway.
I did at first think it was well on the way to being Sleipnir, but I think the extras may be tracery rather than legs.

Erpingham

maybe, but multilegged animals as shamans' steeds are a feature of steppe religion, being found in Scythian contexts.  And there is this piece of Hungarian folklore

The táltos steed would typically appear at first to the protagonist (usually a peasant's son, adventuring prince, or a youngest son) disguised as an old and ugly jade. If it is treated well, it would ask the hero to feed it hot cinders, whereupon its transform into a steed with golden coat, golden saddles and five or six legs. In this form it could fly with the protagonist on its back; its speed is mandatorily described as "faster than a bird", "faster than wind", and finally "faster than thought".