News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Petra, Jordan: Huge monument found 'hiding in plain sight'

Started by Imperial Dave, June 10, 2016, 11:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36498234

couldnt see the wood for the trees apparently or should that be the sandstone for the sand?  :)
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

'Remote sensing' or taking pics by aircraft and satellite is a good way of finding the outlines of otherwise hard-to-discern structures.

The trick is to make any survey systematic, and Sarah Parcak appears to be doing just that.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Patrick Waterson

That particular article includes an intriguing temple fight scene.  The paired participants differ in hairstyle, shield size and loincloth decoration, in addition to left-and right-handedness.  Yet both pairs use blunt weapons, round objects on the end of spearshafts; these do not appear to be weights, judging by the point at which the spear is held.  Presumably this is a ritual combat in which bloodshed is not the intention: in any event, the heavily-lipped individual crouched or seated on the right of the picture seems to be watching with never a care in the world.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Andreas Johansson

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on June 11, 2016, 09:50:52 AM
Presumably this is a ritual combat in which bloodshed is not the intention
If it's even combat - the athletic poses give me an impression of dance.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

Erpingham

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on June 11, 2016, 10:19:55 AM
Quote from: Patrick Waterson on June 11, 2016, 09:50:52 AM
Presumably this is a ritual combat in which bloodshed is not the intention
If it's even combat - the athletic poses give me an impression of dance.

That was also my thought when I saw it.  A dramatic performance is also possible, depicting religious themes perhaps?

Patrick Waterson

Quite conceivable: perhaps even more likely if musicians were depicted in the same scene.  I am not sure how far Cambodians blended the understood with the explicit.

In any event, probably not much use for army lists.