News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Super Stonehenge

Started by Patrick Waterson, September 07, 2015, 11:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Waterson

Researchers checking the landscape around Stonehenge believe they have discovered a new 'superhenge', the largest site of its type in the world.

QuoteNearly 100 stone monoliths found buried near Stonehenge could be the largest neolithic monument built in Britain, archaeologists believe. The 4,500-year-old stones, some measuring 15ft (4.5m) in length, were discovered under 3ft of earth at Durrington Walls "superhenge". The monument was on "an extraordinary scale" and unique, researchers said.

The Stonehenge Hidden Landscapes team has been creating an underground map of the area in a five-year project. Remote sensing and geophysical imaging technology has been used to reveal the stones without the need for excavation.

The monument is just under two miles (3km) from Stonehenge, Wiltshire, and is thought to have been a ritual site. Experts think it may have surrounded traces of springs and a dry valley leading into the River Avon. Although no stones have been excavated they are believed to be fashioned from sarsen blocks found locally. A unique sarsen standing stone, The Cuckoo Stone, remains in the field next to Durrington Walls. The stones are believed to have been deliberately toppled over the south-eastern edge of the bank of the circular enclosure before being incorporated into it.

Lead researcher Vince Gaffney, of the University of Bradford, said: "We don't think there's anything quite like this anywhere else in the world. "This is completely new and the scale is extraordinary."

Archaeologist Nick Snashall said: "The presence of what appear to be stones, surrounding the site of one of the largest neolithic settlements in Europe adds a whole new chapter to the Stonehenge story."

The earthwork enclosure at Durrington Walls was built about a century after the Stonehenge sarsen circle, but archaeologists believe the newly discovered stone row could have been put in place at the same time or even earlier.

Andy Rhind-Tutt, a former mayor and current chairman of nearby Amesbury Museum described the findings as "an incredible discovery" and said: "The hidden treasure trove of the Stonehenge landscape just begs the question about why are all these incredible structures here?"

Mr Rhind-Tutt raised concerns about possible damage to the site under plans to build a road tunnel past Stonehenge.

"It's a big concern to all of us, especially as we are at the tip of the iceberg with this particular discovery, and it would be horrible to destroy one of the most significant sites in the world."

The findings are being announced on the first day of the British Science Festival being held at the University of Bradford.

Now where there are super-scale stone collections, one suspects social organisation.  And where there is social organisation, one can expect armies.  And where there were armies, there is the possibility of army lists ...
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

rodge

Well looking at the size of some of the rocks I would be lobbying for compulsory JCBs

Chris

I had the pleasure and privilege of touring the site on an after college trip. (I did the whole backpack and rail pass thing. Was horrified when people pegged me for being from Wisconsin. I was born and raised in Illinois and attended a Wisconsin school. That's where I picked up the dialect.) Anyway, the familiar Stonehenge had been roped off due to some punk defacing a monolith with spray paint.

This recent discovery is fascinating. On marvels at the sophistication of engineering and coordination of manpower required.

Chris