News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Oh no, not another Camelot!

Started by Imperial Dave, December 19, 2016, 01:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

I thought it was near Arbela?

(wanders off singing "We dine well here in GauGamelot, We eat ham and jam and camel a lot...")
Duncan Head

Erpingham

Hebden Bridge has a lot in common with places like Tintagel and Glastonbury.  Strange inhabitants, craft shops, superfoods.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Erpingham on December 19, 2016, 02:52:46 PM
Hebden Bridge has a lot in common with places like Tintagel and Glastonbury.  Strange inhabitants, craft shops, superfoods.  Coincidence?  I think not.

;D

stands to reason dunnit
but 'they' don't want you to know about it

because

Tim

Duncan

Maybe you are on to something.  Alexander and Gordion Knot - maybe it was Excaliber (would certainly fit with the legends).  Knights heading off to the mysterious East searching for the Holy Grail.  Eumenes as Merlin...

Time to redo the Sub-Roman list?

Regards
Tim

Imperial Dave

there are a lot of people hawking their own version of what may or may not have happened between 200AD and 700AD (this is to allow for all the Arthurs  ::) ) .

Good luck to them

They're wrong as Arthur was my great (to the power 50) grandfather and lived just down the road from me and we kept the sword (its up in my attic)

:P
Slingshot Editor

Tim

Ah but was he Cornish Roman, Welsh Roman, V(an)illa Roman or some Frankish Jonny-come-lately 3rd/4th Century raider mercenary who became Comes Britanniarum or comes littoris Saxonici per Britanniam

Tim

Oh and I forgot 'hetairoi' as Knights of the Round Table...

Patrick Waterson

Quote"In Roman times, Slack was home to a fort called Camulodunum, which means "the fort of the god Camul".

Over the years, well-recognised linguistic processes would have reduced Camulodunum to Camelot."

Not sure if anyone noticed, but there is another place called Camulodunum and it just happens to be the traditional capital of Roman Britain ...

Quote from: Tim on December 19, 2016, 07:46:01 PM
Duncan

Maybe you are on to something.  Alexander and Gordion Knot - maybe it was Excaliber (would certainly fit with the legends).  Knights heading off to the mysterious East searching for the Holy Grail.  Eumenes as Merlin...

Or the seer Aristander ...
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Imperial Dave

We just used to call him 'Duck'

on a semi serious note, having spent a few aimless hours looking at various word/name/place connections with a possible Arthur or a possible Camlan or a possible Camelot etc etc ad infinitum, ad nauseum......its a fool's errand. With a jaundiced eye you can make a lot of things 'fit' with a certain interpretation (depending on your own personal interpretation mind you)
Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Quote from: Holly on December 19, 2016, 07:57:08 PM
They're wrong as Arthur was my great (to the power 50) grandfather and lived just down the road from me and we kept the sword (its up in my attic)

Ah, Anthony Burgess' Any Old Iron? The old iron in that, IIRC, was the Sword of Mars carried by Attila, subsequently passed on to Arthur, and then indeed handed down through a Welsh family...
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Holly on December 19, 2016, 08:57:52 PM
on a semi serious note, having spent a few aimless hours looking at various word/name/place connections with a possible Arthur or a possible Camlan or a possible Camelot etc etc ad infinitum, ad nauseum......its a fool's errand.

The interesting thing about Camulodunum (the one in Essex) is that one does not really need to look - it is there, and everything just falls into place: administrative capital, equine resources, proximity of Chelmsford at the point where the Chelmer ceases to be navigable as a natural rendezvous point for a usurper and his continental Saxon allies.  Deducing Camelot and Camlann from the names is hardly even necessary - that is really just icing on the cake.

One of the lessons of historical research is never trust just names - and never trust anyone whose research hangs on names only, or for that matter just on interpretations or definitions of words.  Look for context, events, actions - and then, if the names also work out (they usually do), that is a bonus.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Erpingham

The problem with Camoludunum as a literal Camelot is that Camelot enters the written record in the 12th Century.  The name Camoludunum hadn't been used for Colchester for centuries by then, so is unlikely to be familiar to a French romance writer as a real place.  He may have read the name of the capital of Britannia in Latin literature and decided that it was suitable as Arthur's capital but it is unlikely he was referring to a known location.

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Erpingham on December 20, 2016, 11:37:55 AM
The problem with Camoludunum as a literal Camelot is that Camelot enters the written record in the 12th Century.  The name Camoludunum hadn't been used for Colchester for centuries by then, so is unlikely to be familiar to a French romance writer as a real place.  He may have read the name of the capital of Britannia in Latin literature and decided that it was suitable as Arthur's capital but it is unlikely he was referring to a known location.

I am quite sure he was not referring it to a known location: he would have picked up 'Camelot' from a trail of Gaelic and Grail literature, and would have failed to make any down-to-earth connection with Colchester itself.  Had he actually worked out where it was, we would not currently be paying any attention to Welsh and Cornish locations with questionable place-names. ;)

Duncan Head

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on December 20, 2016, 12:00:14 PM
Quote from: Erpingham on December 20, 2016, 11:37:55 AM

I am quite sure he was not referring it to a known location: he would have picked up 'Camelot' from a trail of Gaelic and Grail literature...

Hang on - if "Camelot enters the written record in the 12th Century" (as "Camaalot" in Chrétien de Troyes) then what "trail of Gaelic and Grail literature" is there for him to get the name from?
Duncan Head