News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Viking study

Started by Imperial Dave, April 28, 2023, 06:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Viking is a complicated term, because it means different things to the people who coined it than it does now.  A viking was a person who went a-viking.  When this person was doing something else, he wasn't a viking.  He might be a farmer, or a craftsman.  We, however, adopt as a historical convenience a Viking Age, in which a culture originating in Scandinavia spread and had all sorts of impacts in northern Europe and beyond.  A viking comes to mean a person from that culture.  I would suggest this study doesn't affirm viking as a job description but that that viking culture assimilated people of different ethnicities it interacted with.

Imperial Dave

its a bit like 'Saxon' covers multitude of sins...literally
Slingshot Editor

Anton

Black Danes was an Irish description, hair colour of course.

I think Saxon caught on as an insular description because they were the first incoming people encountered by the insular Celts.  I'm quite sure the latter could differentiate between Angles, Jutes and Saxons.

Imperial Dave

true but I believe rightly or wrongly that Saxon meant 'freebooter' or 'pirate'
Slingshot Editor

Anton

Yeah, saw that.  I'm not minded in that direction.  Ethnic/tribal designation for me.  I think you are right about Gildas btw.  That's off topic for Vikings.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor