News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Roman wine

Started by Imperial Dave, January 26, 2024, 07:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Ian61

Interesting. Well I like a dry wine, not sure if that is quite what they mean by a ' drying sensation' which sounds a little odd.

I assume the first AD is a typo and should be BC.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

DBS

BC would make more sense.  Forty plus years since I read Horace but I recall him being scathing about over aged Falernian vintages compared to cheap and cheerful plonk.
David Stevens

Imperial Dave

Nowt wrong with cheap and cheerful especially if fresh
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Not sure about the taste, but I always liked Lindsey Duncan's description in one of her 'Falco' novels of the effects on the latrines of a squad of legionaries following their large-scale consumption of the local taverna's cheapest vintage...  :(
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Nick Harbud on January 27, 2024, 08:56:59 AMNot sure about the taste, but I always liked Lindsey Duncan's description in one of her 'Falco' novels of the effects on the latrines of a squad of legionaries following their large-scale consumption of the local taverna's cheapest vintage...  :(

Lindsey Duncan?

I bet Lindsey Davis is fuming that someone is ripping off her books

::)
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

According to wiki, Lindsay Duncan was in the HBO series Rome, so maybe she met Marcus Didius Falco then?

Mark G

I was wondering why this superstar theatre actress was writing detective novels in an historical setting

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on January 27, 2024, 01:14:33 PMAccording to wiki, Lindsay Duncan was in the HBO series Rome, so maybe she met Marcus Didius Falco then?
Rome smash up
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Sorry, too many Lindseys...  :-[
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

;D

Or too much wine?

8)
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

I find that imbibing before 9:00am is a bit early for me these days, but whatever it takes to kick-start one's day....  :-\
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Cantabrigian

Quote from: Nick Harbud on January 27, 2024, 01:43:04 PMSorry, too many Lindseys...  :-[

And Robert Lindsay.  No doubt playing a member of the populares - "Power to the People".

Imperial Dave

Indeed Wolfie
Slingshot Editor