News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Sheffield Castle project

Started by Imperial Dave, February 14, 2024, 06:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keraunos

Must confess it had never registered with me that Sheffield had a castle.  I had always associated it with cutlery in the industrial age.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

While I did know Sheffield had a castle (it belonged to John Talbot at one point), I had no idea of the scale of it until they started excavating.

Imperial Dave

That's exactly the same as when I promised to replace the back fence
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on February 23, 2024, 03:57:02 PMThat's exactly the same as when I promised to replace the back fence

You found a castle in the back garden?

Imperial Dave

I had no idea of the scale of the work involved until I started excavating.....
Slingshot Editor

Keraunos

An Englishman's home is his castle, but I've just been told that it looks like the mangonels have been at my garden wall!  :(

You cannot view this attachment.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Denis Grey

Quote from: Keraunos on February 24, 2024, 04:52:48 AMAn Englishman's home is his castle, but I've just been told that it looks like the mangonels have been at my garden wall!  :(

You cannot view this attachment.

Another wedding party?

Keraunos

Not a coach in sight!  More like too much rain and too much age.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Keraunos on February 24, 2024, 09:16:39 AMNot a coach in sight!  More like too much rain and too much age.

I was going to blame the rain as well
How high is the ground on the other side of the wall?

Keraunos

Quote from: Jim Webster on February 24, 2024, 12:12:39 PM
Quote from: Keraunos on February 24, 2024, 09:16:39 AMNot a coach in sight!  More like too much rain and too much age.

I was going to blame the rain as well
How high is the ground on the other side of the wall?

About 18" higher, I think, but I've never done a careful measure.  My old wargame shed is just the other side of the wall!

Jim Webster

It reminds me of places where I've seen water draining off higher ground through the wall

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor