News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Welsh forests in the historical landscape

Started by Erpingham, February 18, 2024, 11:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

An interesting little item on Welsh rainforests, illustrating the dangers of equating current landscapes to historical ones.  Those who wargame battles in those parts may draw some inspiration for terrain choices. Welsh pig farming and the need to be very careful making sales contracts with magical beings also feature.

Imperial Dave

There is the ancient forest of Wentwood 2 miles from where I live. Referenced in a few ancient texts
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Describing these rainforests as a "Celtic super-highway" appears somewhat delusional.  I mean, how do even the wider forest trails compare in any way to six lanes of black top?

???
Nick Harbud

Erpingham

Quote from: Nick Harbud on February 18, 2024, 03:03:33 PMDescribing these rainforests as a "Celtic super-highway" appears somewhat delusional. 

This baffled me a bit.  Perhaps the author was heavily influenced by watching "The Last of the Mohicans" and imagined "Celtic" tribesmen slipping effortlessly through the trees?  The Romans would be like the Redcoats, limited to their forts and roads. :-\

Nick Harbud

This is what happens when the Welsh Government decides not to upgrade the M4 around Newport...  >:(
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

DBS

And what would be the speed limit on the Celtic super-highway?
David Stevens

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: DBS on February 18, 2024, 05:45:19 PMAnd what would be the speed limit on the Celtic super-highway?

Given it's a forest, wouldn't it be like a Welsh rally stage - as fast as you dare?

Imperial Dave

It's the deer you have to watch out for.. the buggers break from cover and leap over you
Slingshot Editor

Keraunos

I bet they do it just to get a laugh out of your expression when they jump over you.

I presume you don't have to worry about wild boar, though - unless you rile them up by going after them with boar hounds.  I met this chap taking a stroll around the Peak in Hong Kong a few years back.

You cannot view this attachment.

Imperial Dave

Wild pigs in southern France too. Truffle botherers
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Many Welsh heroes, including Arthur, were great boar hunters. 

Imperial Dave

some say its allegorical in nature with the boar referencing the 'Britonnic-Irish'
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Gosh, I didn't know boars could even spell allegorical....  :-[
Nick Harbud