News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Roman army and tactics remade historically

Started by andrew881runner, December 13, 2014, 07:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew881runner

I have a channel where I try to remake ancient battle tactics in the most historical way I can (I have even machinimas, movies recreated like Alexander, gladiator, Troy).

In this video I remake a full Republican manipular Roman army, with 4 legions one next to the other, and cavalry.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dH64cLc4_DU

Here I show a Republican manipular legion with real numbers doing the drills to change hastati with principes, and to make principes retreat leaving triarii to cover retreat. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1k6c4efuaE0

Patrick Waterson

I notice you also have a video showing 80,000 Romans deployed ... quite an achievement!
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

andrew881runner

Yes but laggy and with lowest graphics (it was my old graphic card). I hope that in some years new generation pcs will let me able to play ancient battles (like GaugaMela: 200000 vs 40000) with real numbers and hopefully no lag.

andrew881runner

Well I am here to receive advices.. Maybe I did something wrong in the videos? I am opened to suggestions about new videos too.

Justin Swanton

They do reopen the interesting subject of how line relief worked. But that is a dog that is perhaps better left to enjoy its nap...

Nice graphics BTW.

andrew881runner

I sticked to what I read in books and what more than one historians said explaining in detail why they reached that conclusion. I did not invent anything on my own.  Anyway, the result seems very much likely to happen (with very trained and drilled infantry).
I was mostly amazed from how big one single Roman Republican army was, taking into account that in most battles more than one were used. You should have had a damn perfect organization to feed support and control all those men together. Even taking into account peculiar tactics Scipio did moving principes and triarii in the sides.