News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Wearing your sword under your armour

Started by Cantabrigian, December 22, 2022, 06:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

I hadn't seen that before; interesting, thanks. A lot of the source illustrations are probably well known, but there are certainly some in there that are new to me.
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

for me it makes sense. As someone who has tried to run with a 3-foot sword-in-scabbard hanging from a belt it isnt easy!
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Interesting.  Certainly a few there I hadn't seen.

Nick Harbud

Now, just to find the figures to update my Norman and Anglo-Danish armoured types....

BTW, I feel that Uhtred's method of slinging his scabbarded sword across his back is probably even more practical for running.

Nick Harbud

Cantabrigian

Ah Uhtred...  If you look carefully in the early episodes you'll see that he has the scabbard before he gets the sword to go in it. That's what I call forward planning...

evilgong

I wonder if it's to keep the belt inside the armour / clothes to deprive the enemy of a belt to grab in melee or to avoid having an exposed belt that might get tangled up in your kit, or perhaps the guy standing beside you.

One for the re-enactment people to comment on.

David F Brown

Erpingham

What is interesting is not everybody does it.  Most images show the sword hanging outside the armour.  So, presumably, the balance of pros and cons was not such that everyone leapt on the "new" style.