News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Boudicca's last battle

Started by Swampster, December 26, 2015, 02:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampster

While reading up a bit of local history for a different thread, I discovered that I regularly drive across a contender for the site of Boudicca's last battle. Does anyone know anything of the Roman artefacts which have lead to Parson's Hill in Brum to be put forward?
There are a slew of newspaper reports over a period of half a dozen years with quotes from archaeologists ranging from the hopeful to the skeptical. Unfortunately the history gets drowned under journos being excited that there is a McDonalds on the site. There is a school and a Chinese take-away too, but they don't get a look in.

Patrick Waterson

The best I have been able to find so far (this article) is that trial diggings have unearthed some 'Roman artefacts including ancient pots'.

Exactly what the non-pot artefacts are remains unspecified.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

eques

Hmmmm, so we're looking for somewhere between Anglesey and London, which is hilly, "full of trees" and under which you can find traces of Roman pottery.

It absolutely HAS to be Parson's Hill  :-\