News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Emperor Carinus - source evidence for fighting in Persia

Started by Tim, October 31, 2020, 11:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

On the DBMM group, the topic of the Roman Emperor Carinus adopting the appellation "Persicus maximus" in 283 AD (Livius - thanks to Nigel for that) has arisen. I know that some members of that group also reside here, so I appologise in advance for any duplication. Do we have any source evidence to support the theory that it is because he fought and beat the Persian S*ss*n*ds? If so, where would one look to find the details?

Jim Webster

In Aurelian and Probus: The Soldier Emperors Who Saved Rome

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FBG6KR4/

Ilkka Syvänne has Carus campaigning in Persia whilst Carinus campaigned in Britain and Germany.
I don't think it would be unknown for an Emperor to accept a title more properly won by his colleague.

Duncan Head

The SHA certainly has Carus, not Carinus, capturing Ctesiphon. And I can't see anything in Aurelius Victor or Eutropius that would either put Carinus in Persia or give him a Brilliant rating anywhere else.
Duncan Head

DBS

Also, unless we have a major misunderstanding of Carus and Carinus, there seems neither the space nor the logic for the latter to have campaigned in the east.

The usual order of priority for dealing with threats in the period seems to have been: usurpers (trump all else); Parthians / Persians; then Germans / Goths and assorted other uppity barbarians.

Carus is the senior emperor, so, in the absence of any usurpers, goes off to the east to have a pop at the Persians.  His elder son, Carinus, is an adult, so he stays in the west to deal with the Germans.  Numerianus is younger, so accompanies dad.

They all took Persicus Maximus because a) emperors share such titles and b) Carus is trying to ensure dynastic credentials for his boys anyway.

There would have been absolutely no reason for Carinus to go east - dad is having a very successful campaign there, thank you, and there are hairy barbarians to be smote on the Danube and Rhine.  Indeed, it would have been wholly counter-intuitive - the entire point of collegiate emperors is to spread the imperial patronage and largesse as widely as possible around the empire.

Carinus is then supposed to have been in Rome, whether one believes or not the tales of his excessive serial matrimony and all round best efforts to win "most depraved emperor since the last depraved one", before heading off through the Balkansn, once he hears that both dad and little brother are dead, to defeat Julianus and get defeated by Diocletian.
David Stevens

Mark G

I confess to reading that as Piscis Maximus, and pondered what you would have to do to become the big fish.

Dangun

My memory is a bit dodgy on Roman stuff, and I haven't checked this... but didn't Carus die in, or on the way back from Persia? And at the time, Carinus was in Rome, not Germany? So did Carinus simply refocus the triumph of the Persian campaign that was being otherwise planned to glorify his father?... They'd already ordered the food and the balloons...

DBS

As I said above, it is not a question of Carinus nicking his father's triumph, as simply sharing it.  Standard practice amongst imperial colleges, especially when of one family.  Common endeavour.
David Stevens