News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Unique Roman Headstone uncovered in Cirencester

Started by Imperial Dave, February 26, 2015, 10:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Waterson

'Bodica/Bodicaca' is a name reminiscent of a famous Iceni queen, so yes, probably Celtic.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Imperial Dave

I'm surprised they didnt zoom in on that aspect Patrick! Talk about a gift horse  :)
Slingshot Editor

Dave Beatty

Dast we think that it could actually be (gasp) THE Boudica?  Bodacious thought... didn't she have 3 daughters?

Patrick Waterson

I suspect she would not have been buried in Gloucestershire - our President lives there. :)

Actually the final battle where Suetonius Paullinus crushed her revolt (probably not a Battle Day candidate) has as far as I am aware not been located and might even have taken place near Cirencester.  But Boudicca/Boadicea would presumably be older than 27 years, and her husband Prasutagus died before her so would not have been able to put up a gravestone to his 'coniunx' (wife) unless he had arranged matters previously following a visit to a really good clairvoyant ...
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Jim Webster

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on March 03, 2015, 09:31:38 PM
I suspect she would not have been buried in Gloucestershire - our President lives there. :)

Actually the final battle where Suetonius Paullinus crushed her revolt (probably not a Battle Day candidate) has as far as I am aware not been located and might even have taken place near Cirencester.  But Boudicca/Boadicea would presumably be older than 27 years, and her husband Prasutagus died before her so would not have been able to put up a gravestone to his 'coniunx' (wife) unless he had arranged matters previously following a visit to a really good clairvoyant ...

Just pondering this.
If she'd been married at fourteen and had her two daughters reasonable soon, she could have been sixteen years older than them.
As for her daughters and their age, the daughter of Sejanus, Junilla, was about 15 when she was raped and executed (because there was no precedent for imposing the death sentence on a virgin). So they could both have been younger than that.
So yes, 27 is a little on the young side for Queen Boadicea but not a lot. She needn't have been much over thirty.
It's the husband's name and the place of burial which probably eliminate her.

Jim