News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Cheshire hoard on display

Started by Imperial Dave, February 13, 2016, 07:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-35560821

The BBC can be frustrating at times but they do seem to like posting archaeological stuff on a regular basis - a time team legacy perhaps?
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Wasn't Time Team channel 4?  BBCs last dirt archaeology programme was Meet the Ancestors, I think.

Tim

In our house it was knowing as 'Sleeping with the Ancestors' due to the somewhat dull delivery of the presenter... We always kept an episode recorded in case of insomnia...

Sharur

Quote from: Erpingham on February 13, 2016, 10:28:58 AM
Wasn't Time Team channel 4?

Indeed. Still being endlessly repeated on More4.

Quote from: Erpingham on February 13, 2016, 10:28:58 AMBBCs last dirt archaeology programme was Meet the Ancestors, I think.

Probably Digging for Britain, I think, which was last made drawing on the findings from 2014, originally broadcast on BBC4 in February last year, and repeated most recently there over the Christmas-New Year period, so far as I recall.

Erpingham

Quote from: Sharur on February 13, 2016, 01:11:42 PM

Probably Digging for Britain, I think, which was last made drawing on the findings from 2014,

Yes, I watched that.  I'd got that more in the "news round up" category but it did have real mud covered diggers in it.  Hopefully, there is a summary of the 2015 season in the pipeline.

Imperial Dave

sorry what I meant was that Time Team has done a lot for raising archaeology in general into our general awareness so the BBC are happy to carry that popularity through with news stories

FWIW

I thought 'Down to Earth' was a superb series and far superior to Time Team and culled all too quick
Slingshot Editor

Andreas Johansson

Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 46 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Holly on February 13, 2016, 08:03:31 PM
Quote from: Andreas Johansson on February 13, 2016, 03:34:05 PM
Quote from: Tim on February 13, 2016, 12:40:00 PM
'Sleeping with the Ancestors'
Sounds incestuous.

and not a little yucky  :o

And quite possibly necrophiliac. ;D

Now what happened in the mid-1st and late 2nd century AD that would cause respectable citizens to bury their coinage?  The Malpas hoard contains coinage up to AD 50, suggesting it may have been deposited during Boudicca's revolt, while the Knutsford hoard has coinage dated up to near the end of the 2nd century AD, suggesting it may have been buried either during the Pictish incursions of AD 180 or after Albinus lost to Severus at Lugdunum in AD 197.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Sharur

Quote from: Erpingham on February 13, 2016, 01:38:05 PM
Quote from: Sharur on February 13, 2016, 01:11:42 PM

Probably Digging for Britain, I think, which was last made drawing on the findings from 2014,

Yes, I watched that.  I'd got that more in the "news round up" category but it did have real mud covered diggers in it.  Hopefully, there is a summary of the 2015 season in the pipeline.

The 2015 season looks set to be covered in three programmes on BBC4 beginning on Thursday this week (2016 March 10) at 9 p.m. There's a summary of what's in this episode, which covers the "West", with the times of its re-broadcasts here.