News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

artillery in Lithuanian wars 1200-1400 AD

Started by Bill, December 04, 2016, 04:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Hello- I am new to this forum and Medieval wargaming , can anyone tell me if Lithuanians or Teutonic Knights used any artillery or firearms in 1200-1400AD in their battles in Lithuania, Prussia or Livonia? I am starting to game this period, thanks- Bill.

Tim

Bill

Welcome.  Good to know of another member interested in Eastern European warfare.  They are both beautiful armies when deployed on the field.

As far as I know there was no gunpowder artillery used in those wars prior to 1380.  After that both sides seem to have used bombards but prior to 1409 AD I am not aware of usage of bombards other than at sieges.

Hope that helps.
Regards
Tim

Bill

Hello Tim thanks for your reply- What about 1410 at Tannenburg? Any artillery there?

Tim

Sources are inconsistent.  Both side certainly had access to artillery but I have not read any reports suggesting that they had a material impact upon the battle of Grunwald/Tannenburg.  The Wikipedia article mentions a source

Turnbull, Stephen (2003), Tannenberg 1410: Disaster for the Teutonic Knights, Campaign Series, 122, London: Osprey, ISBN 978-1-84176-561-7, p43.

ss saying there was artillery but as it also mentions rain and I have not read that in any other source I might be sceptical.

Turnbull in general has a good reputation but I don't remember reading that Osprey in particular.

Erpingham

A quick google reveals Artillery: An Illustrated History of Its Impact by Jeff Kinard; p43 states that heavy rain may have affected the artillery at Tannenberg/Grunwald.  He gives figures for artillery of 16 Lithuanian and 100 Teutonic pieces.  He confirms lack of impact.

I also incidentally found an article on the artillery used in this war https://www.e-anthropology.com/DownloadFreeFile.aspx?DwID=6057

but it is in Ukrainian :(

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Erpingham on December 04, 2016, 10:31:14 PM

but it is in Ukrainian :(

One could try putting it in a format suitable for Google Translate, and then marvel at the usage and terminology ...
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

http://rcin.org.pl/Content/58683/WA308_78466_PIII368_Technology-of-manufa_I.pdf is an article on manufacture of artillery in the Teutonic Order state. There's a list of mentions in administrative documents - most after 1400, though; the earliest is

Quote6 iron guns (yserynne buchsen) in the Commandery of ToruĊ„ (Thorn) in 1392 and 1397

https://www.academia.edu/8170378/Characteristics_of_Medieval_Artillery_in_the_Light_of_Written_Sources_from_Bohemia_and_Poland is also useful, and does mention artillery in sieges in the 1410 war.
Duncan Head

Bill

Thank you all very much! You have put me on track to learn more.