News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

New TV series on Pompeii

Started by Imperial Dave, March 03, 2016, 01:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Washing clothes in urine (as mentioned in the article) was a respectable custom which apparently carried through to the mediaeval period.  The trick was to rinse them afterwards ... notably where to rinse them afterwards.

Hence the old saying: never drink from the Tiber.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Nick Harbud

On a similar note, might I recommend the works of Lindsey Davis and her Roman gumshoe, Marcus Didius Falco.  Whenever he enters or leaves his garret subura, he is consistently reminded to "pee in the tank" by the owner of the laundry on the ground floor.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lindsey-Davis/e/B000AQ6YE0/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1457153721&sr=1-1
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Thats true Nick and incidently a very good series of books  :)
Slingshot Editor

Mark G

Many of which gave been done for radio 4 too, with Anton lesser, if memory serves.

Erpingham

Quote from: Mark G on March 05, 2016, 05:53:33 PM
Many of which gave been done for radio 4 too, with Anton lesser, if memory serves.

Interesting choice.  I always think of him looking like Columbo (its the similraity of names, I think Falco- Peter Falk).