News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Is the Cerne Abbas Giant late Saxon?

Started by Duncan Head, May 12, 2021, 08:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Harbud

Oh no, I have a horrible premonition regarding the cover picture for the next Slingshot....  :-[
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Anton

I had a wee plate with the Giant's image on.  Used to use it to serve olives.  It got put away when the progeny arrived.

Erpingham

There's a nice article about the giant in the online edition of the New Yorker, which gives a lot more background to his existence and how the locals relate to him these days.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Anton on May 13, 2021, 11:23:04 AM
I had a wee plate with the Giant's image on.  Used to use it to serve olives.  It got put away when the progeny arrived.

could have been worse....could have been used to serve sausages
Slingshot Editor

DougM

Quote from: Holly on May 13, 2021, 01:34:30 PM

Wargamers.. never knowingly without a knob joke.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Erpingham

Quote from: DougM on May 13, 2021, 03:21:05 PM

As the tale of the team photo in the New Yorker article demonstrates, archaeologists are no better.

DougM

Quote from: Erpingham on May 13, 2021, 03:41:29 PM
Quote from: DougM on May 13, 2021, 03:21:05 PM

As the tale of the team photo in the New Yorker article demonstrates, archaeologists are no better.

I put that down to inbreeding. Archaeologists tend to meet other archaeologists, thus the perennial joke about archaeologists wives, 'oh, so where did you dig her up?'
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

timurilank

Quote from: NickHarbud on May 13, 2021, 10:33:14 AM
Oh no, I have a horrible premonition regarding the cover picture for the next Slingshot....  :-[

I think a centrefold would hold more suspense.

Justin Swanton

Quote from: NickHarbud on May 13, 2021, 10:33:14 AM

Funny you should mention it...

DougM

Saxon knob jokes and rhubarb? You certainly know your audience...

Justin Swanton

Quote from: DougM on May 14, 2021, 09:03:39 PM
Saxon knob jokes and rhubarb? You certainly know your audience...

What can I say? I was corrupted by British TV programmes in my youth.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor