News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

The Vinland Map "is a fake"

Started by Duncan Head, October 01, 2021, 10:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Mark G

Is this reported anywhere else?

I struggle to give any credibility to Fox News on a topic referencing climate change in any era.

Andreas Johansson

Quote from: Mark G on October 01, 2021, 12:34:09 PM

That the ink is modern has been reported in a variety of places since the 1970s. And that's by no means the only reason to believe it's a fake.

Fox are mostly guilty of pretending that this is news.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 46 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

Duncan Head

I struggle to give any credibility to Fox News on a topic referencing climate change in any era.

Try Yale itself - https://news.yale.edu/2021/09/01/analysis-unlocks-secret-vinland-map-its-fake

(The Fox story embeds Yale's tweet which includes the link to the Yale news item, so you could have answered that yourself...)
Duncan Head

Mark G

Clicking through from Fox News seems a very risky choice

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

I'm  sure BBC reported it as well.  IIRC the ink analysis is supposedly more definitive, pointing to specific 1920s type.

Chuck the Grey

I have trouble giving Fox credibility on any subject.  ;)

The problems with the ink have been discussed since the early 1970s. The presence of Titanium has been the center of the controversy with proponents rejecting its significance and skeptics saying it proves the map is a fake.

By the way, the map was valued at 20 million USD if real. Easy come, easy go I guess.

Duncan Head

Quote from: Chuck the Grey on October 04, 2021, 02:15:57 AM
The problems with the ink have been discussed since the early 1970s. The presence of Titanium has been the center of the controversy with proponents rejecting its significance and skeptics saying it proves the map is a fake.

QuoteWhile earlier studies had detected evidence of modern inks at various points on the map, the new Yale analysis examined the entire document's elemental composition using state-of-the-art tools and techniques that were previously unavailable.

The analysis revealed that a titanium compound used in inks first produced in the 1920s pervades the map's lines and text.
The new study also uncovered evidence that the map deception was intentional. A Latin inscription on its back, possibly a bookbinder's note guiding the assembly of the Speculum Historiale — an authentic medieval volume and the likely source of the map's calfskin parchment — is overwritten with modern ink to appear like instructions for binding the map within the genuine 15th-century manuscript.
While scientists for decades have used XRF to study the elemental composition of specific points on an object, Bezur said, only recently have they been able to use it to scan an entire two-dimensional object in a laboratory setting.
To confirm that the map's ink was of modern origin, and that the anatase wasn't simply unique and naturally occurring, the team performed field emission scanning electron microscopy (FE-SEM) on samples from the altered text of the Tartar Relation and the map. This process yielded highly magnified images of its ink's components, which showed that the anatase particles closely resemble those found in pigment that was commercially produced in Norway in 1923. Nothing suggested that the anatase was naturally sourced, Hark said.
https://news.yale.edu/2021/09/01/analysis-unlocks-secret-vinland-map-its-fake
Duncan Head