News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Paper on draco standards

Started by Erpingham, February 26, 2020, 05:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Academia.edu somewhat randomly (does it have another mode?) recommended me this from the Limes XXIII conference in 2015.  Of interest I'm sure to the late Romanists however I'm not convinced by his association of Arthur with dragons which meant his legend in Sarmatian.  If the author had followed through on what happened to dragon standards, he might have considered their use in Post-Roman contexts by the Franks, by the Anglo-Danes, the Holy Roman Emperor and the kings of England until the 14th century (though I'm not convinced this last was a windsock type banner) which suggests to me they are signs of legitimate authority in recollection of empire, rather than Steppe ancestry.  But otherwise a useful collection of references to the growth of use of this form of standard.

Imperial Dave

thanks Anthony, nice find. I tend to agree with you in terms of the the inheritance of the draco banner developing in a post roman context. Another paper downloaded for referral :)
Slingshot Editor