News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Genetic research on the origin of the Avars

Started by Duncan Head, April 02, 2022, 05:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

https://www.mpg.de/18495750/0330-evan-origins-of-the-avars-elucidated-with-ancient-dna-150495-x

The implication appears to be that the Avar elite were indeed descended from the Rouran/Juan-juan empire in Mongolia, rather than being "escaped slaves of the Turks" as the Gok Turks themselves claimed, nor primarily of local East-European origin as has been suggested on archaeological grounds.
Duncan Head

Chuck the Grey

Thanks for the link to the article Duncan. I especially liked the reconstruction of the horseman based on the grave finds. For me, it brought to life the person interred in the grave that the artifacts alone could not.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Chuck the Grey on April 02, 2022, 06:43:26 PM
Thanks for the link to the article Duncan. I especially liked the reconstruction of the horseman based on the grave finds. For me, it brought to life the person interred in the grave that the artifacts alone could not.

And the pony he was riding was something of a revelation. Brought home how small they were