News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

New Movie out called "Risen" depicting Roman troops in Judaea circa 30AD

Started by Dave Beatty, March 07, 2016, 07:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Beatty

Just saw a pretty good film called "Risen" that imagines a Roman tribune searching for the body of a risen Christ.

The uniforms and equipment of the Roman troops seems reasonable to me.

I do question whether there were any elements of Legio X Fretensis in Judea in 30AD (as depicted in the film) much less a tribune (but I suppose Pilate might have a tribune as an assistant).

Has anyone else seen this movie and have an opinion?

I welcome thoughts from the more astute members of the Society!

Dave

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Dave Beatty on March 07, 2016, 07:04:49 PM

I do question whether there were any elements of Legio X Fretensis in Judea in 30AD (as depicted in the film) much less a tribune (but I suppose Pilate might have a tribune as an assistant).

Astute observation, Dave: apparently (judging by tiles found on the site) the legion contributed to the construction of Caesarea Maritima (built 25-13 BC) but moved to Syria sometime between then and AD 6.  It took part in suppressing Judaean disturbances arising from the exile of Archelaus in that same year (AD 6).

Thereafter, the only clue to its whereabouts is that veterans of the legion were directed to found a new colony at Ptolemais (Acre).

We pick it up again in AD 58 when Corbulo takes it on campaign in Armenia.  Thereafter it either campaigns in Armenia or hangs around in northern Syria until AD 67, when it is committed against the Jewish Revolt.

Hence, while we have no evidence that it was in Judaea c.AD 30, the colony at Ptolemais might imply a station in Judaea, so the film has plausibility on its side.  That said, in Acts and elsewhere, mention is made of the Cohors Prima Italica Civium Romanorum, the Cohors Secunda Italica Civium Romanorum (Acts 10.1) and the Italian Cohors Prima Augusta (Acts 27.1) but no explicit legionaries.  (Source: Livius.org)

Strictly speaking, the procurator of Judaea needed to be only of equestrian rank, which would disqualify him from command of a legion.  However the governor of Syria had three legions at his disposal and could order one into Judaea if he saw fit, so in theory the X Fulminata could have been carrying out a 'tour of duty' in Judaea around AD 30.

On balance, I would let them get away with it, if only for the sake of the story.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Jim Webster

It's interesting. When Paul was arrested in Jerusalem, Acts 21 and Acts 22
23 As they were shouting and throwing off their cloaks and flinging dust into the air, 24 the commander ordered that Paul be taken into the barracks. He directed that he be flogged and interrogated in order to find out why the people were shouting at him like this. 25 As they stretched him out to flog him, Paul said to the centurion standing there, "Is it legal for you to flog a Roman citizen who hasn't even been found guilty?"

26 When the centurion heard this, he went to the commander and reported it. "What are you going to do?" he asked. "This man is a Roman citizen."

27 The commander went to Paul and asked, "Tell me, are you a Roman citizen?"

"Yes, I am," he answered.

28 Then the commander said, "I had to pay a lot of money for my citizenship."

In the Greek, the Commander is the chiliarchos

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/act22.pdf

Patrick Waterson

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill