News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Map help - Roman era place name check

Started by Prufrock, March 19, 2015, 03:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prufrock

Hello all, am just wondering if I could call on the collective wisdom of the forum to check a Roman-era boardgame map for any obvious naming errors. Also, any suggestions for more appropriate region names would be much appreciated. The designer is a one man band, and it would be good if we could help him out a little.

Swampster

A few to start:
'Moesia' would be better as Dacia. 'Pannonia' is a long way off. 'Ionia' might be better as Asia. 'Iudea' might be better as Syria. 'West Cyrenaica' could be Tripolitania (used from the 3rd century). Numidia is a long way off.

I'd better get to work now...

P.

Duncan Head

Peter's right.

Your "West Numidia" could be Gaetulia, "East Numidia" I might call Sabratha or Lepcis.

"Aquitania" is way out - Aquitania should be on the Atlantic coast. You could just call it Gallia, or Arvernia from the Arverni/Auvergne?

"Upper" and "Lower" Germania are the opposite way round to the historical usage (Lower Germany was the province on the banks of the Lower Rhine). I reckon "Upper Germania" would be better as Frisia or Saxonia.

"Noricum" is a long way from historical Noricum: "Marcomannia"?

As Peter said, "Moesia" should be "Dacia". I'd make your "Lower" and "Upper Dacia" into Lower and Upper Sarmatia.

Your "Pannonia" is a bit awkward - could be "Bastarnaea".

"Vendae" should be "Ven_e_dae".

cheers,
Duncan
Duncan Head

Prufrock

Many thanks gentlemen, I'll pass that along!

Patrick Waterson

It has been done before: have a look at the map images in the Imperium Romanum II entry here at Boardgamegeek.  You need to be registered to see the largest image sizes, which are the only ones that will be useful.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Prufrock

Thanks Patrick - Erik asked me to pass on his thanks to you all. 

Cheers,
Aaron

Patrick Waterson

Give him our regards and wish him well for his progress. :)
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

valentinianvictor

You also have to be careful with what time frame your friend is setting the game in, the Empire was increasing in size from the days of the early Republic until it reached its maximum size during the Empire period in AD117. The borders after that date also became fluid, the Sasanids took territory and then the Romans took it back, only for it to be repeated several times over.

Tim

Adrian

It was never really S*ss*n*d, it was still Roman, just not currently occupied by the Romans...