News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Possible Hunnic stone monuments

Started by Imperial Dave, November 25, 2016, 09:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

last one tonight....

http://www.livescience.com/56855-ancient-stone-monuments-discovered-along-caspian.html

interesting as I thought (as most people?) that the Huns didnt build stuff!
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

The concept of tombs comes to mind.  Compare Herodotus IV.127.2-3:

Quote"As to why I do not fight with you at once, I will tell you why. We Scythians have no towns or cultivated land, out of fear for which, that the one might be taken or the other wasted, we would engage you sooner in battle. But if all you want is to come to that quickly, we have the graves [taphoi] of our fathers.

Come on, find these and try to destroy them: you shall know then whether we will fight you for the graves or whether we will not fight. Until then, unless we have reason, we will not engage with you."

The one likely fixed point in nomadic lives would be the resting-place of their distinguished ancestors.  The presence of a silver-decorated saddle would seem to point this way, assuming Huns had much the same outlook as Scythians.  The Scythians seem to have had 'graves' or funeral monuments which could be 'destroyed' and would not be too difficult to 'find'.  Something like these Caspian structures would fit the bill nicely.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill