News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Interesting You Tube "timelapse" representations of several British Hillforts

Started by Imperial Dave, May 07, 2014, 11:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

rodge

Imperial Dave

I have to admit that I had to look that one up Rodge, and now I have its conveniently near enough for me to go visit so thanks for the mention  :)
Slingshot Editor

rodge

Dave
Let me know when you are going
I can see it from where I'm typing this, in fact took a friend round it last Sunday morning
Pick a good day as the view of the Severn Vale is stunning

Imperial Dave

Thanks Rodge, I only live a few miles over the Severn Bridge at Magor (where we have a few very nice hillforts it has to be said :) ) so its not far.

Spent many a happy day going to places like Crickley Hill etc, but never Uley Bury
Slingshot Editor

rodge

Patrick Waterson

One intriguing feature about these reconstructions is what seems to be an assumption that the first settlers would be content with building a wall a quarter of the way around the hill, as if they had only very lazy opponents to contend with.

Would this be based on dating attempts?  If so, it suggests to me one of two things:

1) Possible dodgy dating.

2) The remainder of the hill was heavily wooded/overgrown, enough to stop penetration by an attacker.  It is hard to see how this could be the case without artificial assistance like plashing and Nervii-style hedgerows.

Any thoughts?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill