News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Turkish archaeologists think they have found the Wooden Horse of Troy

Started by Duncan Head, August 10, 2021, 01:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

https://greekreporter.com/2021/08/10/archaeologists-claim-they-have-found-the-trojan-horse-in-turkey/

My first response is not to believe it....

QuoteAnother discovery that supports the archaeologists' claims is a damaged bronze plate with the inscription "For their return home, the Greeks dedicate this offering to Athena." Quintus Smyrnaeus refers to the particular plate in his epic poem "Posthomerica." The plate was also found on the site.

Written in what - Archaic Greek? Linear B? If there was an actual plaque that Quintus Smyrnaeus could read, isn't it likely to have been written in a script much later than the Trojan War? Have they actually found a Hellenistic theme park's archaeological reconstruction?

But then,
Quote"The carbon dating tests and other analysis have all suggested that the wooden pieces and other artifacts date from the 12th or 11th centuries B.C.," says Professor Morris.
Duncan Head

RichT

Fantastic!

But what are the chances that an amazing discovery like this that you read about on the internet is true? How much of anything on the internet is true?

"The two archaeologists leading the excavation, Boston University professors Christine Morris and Chris Wilson"

Boston University doesn't list Christine Morris and Chris Wilson among its staff. More to the point, Boston University doesn't mention what would undoubtedly be the archaeological discovery of the century on its website. Believe me, they would.

So, hoax, sadly.

(And an old hoax too, since this site discussed it in 2014)

Funnily enough, this blog discussed this story in 2014, linking to:

http://eu.greekreporter.com/2014/11/06/archaeologists-claim-they-have-found-the-trojan-horse-in-turkey/

which now redirects to

https://greekreporter.com/2021/08/10/archaeologists-discover-trojan-horse-in-turkey/

A slow news day at Greekreporter - reduced to recycling old lies.

Justin Swanton

Notice the key word "suggested". Normally if you carbon date something, you come up with a conclusive range: between 1350 and 1250 BC or something like that. What this article is lacking is the hard data. What exactly have they found? To what extent can it be proven to be a wooden horse? Why is the C14 dating only suggestive? What exactly is the plaque written in?

QuoteWritten in what - Archaic Greek? Linear B? If there was an actual plaque that Quintus Smyrnaeus could read, isn't it likely to have been written in a script much later than the Trojan War?

They don't say Smyrnaeus read the plaque, just that his description of the horse matches what they found.

Meself I've no problem with a real wooden horse as I think the siege of Troy was an historical event. But we still need the kernel of the nut.

Justin Swanton

Quote(And an old hoax too, since this site discussed it in 2014)

Oh, right.