News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

A close shave for Alexander

Started by Chris, February 13, 2016, 02:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Spotted this in the March issue of The Atlantic magazine and thought it might generate some discussion or at the very least, interest.

The following is transcribed in full from page 23 and is adapted from OF BEARDS AND MEN: THE REVEALING HISTORY OF FACIAL HAIR, by Christopher Oldstone-Moore, published by University of Chicago Press in January.

The revolution that ended the reign of beards occurred on September 30, 331 B.C., as Alexander the Great prepared for a decisive showdown with the Persian emperor for control of Asia. On that day, he ordered his men to shave. Yet from time immemorial in Greek culture, a smooth chin on a grown man had  been taken as a sign of effeminacy or degeneracy. What can explain this unprecedented command? When the commander Parmenio asked the reason, according to the ancient historian Plutarch, Alexander replied, "Don't you know that in battles there is nothing handier to grasp than a beard?" But there is ample cause to doubt Plutarch's explanation. Stories of beard-pulling in battles were myth rather than history. Plutarch and later historians misunderstood the order because they neglected the most relevant fact, namely that Alexander had dared to do what no self-respecting Greek leader had even done before: shave his face, likening himself to the demigod Heracles, rendered in painting and sculpture in the immortal splendor of  youthful, beardless nudity. Alexander wished above all, as he told his generals before the battle, that each man would see himself as a crucial part of the mission. They would certainly see this more clearly if each of them looked more like their heroic commander.

Patrick Waterson

One point to make would be that if Alexander was trying to look like anyone, it would have been his beardless ancestor Achilles.  Nobody would associate him with the usually-bearded Heracles, especially without a lion-skin and a club.  So no marks for Mr Oldstone-Moore so far.

Quote"Stories of beard-pulling in battles were myth rather than history."

Sorry, no marks here either, Mr O-M.  The beard was an ideal handhold if one wished to stab an opponent without hindrance.

"And Joab took Amasa by the beard with the right hand to kiss him.  But Amasa took no heed [la-nmshr = was not on guard] to the sword in Joab's hand: so he smote him therewith in the fifth rib, and ... he died." - II Samuel 20:8-10

I recall at least one relief depicting an Assyrian holding an opponent's beard while skewering him in the neck with a shortsword, but cannot find it online.

In short, I rather think Mr Oldstone-Moore has quite the wrong idea.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Chris

Appreciate, as always, your well informed replies, Patrick. I simply thought the piece interesting. (Shows how much I know, though if and when the book appears on the shelves at the local library, I will take a look.)

Perhaps Mr. O-M (he may be a professor, but I'm not sure) was referring to Plutarch and others of that time with regard to the beard-pulling in battles statement? He is talking about Alexander's conquest of Persia. Your reference are to much earlier periods.

I wonder if there are references of mentions of beard-pulling in sources describing military actions between 250 BC and let's say, 850 AD. Cannot expect that there would be a great number given the shield and sword combination preventing the grabbing of chin whiskers.

Jim Webster

grabbing the whiskers of a pikeman in the front rank of a phalanx sounds like a challenge!

Patrick Waterson

True, though when assaulting cities and the like, which under Alex happened about twice as often as major battles, the pikes seem to have been left behind for various reasons of health and safety, not to mention encumbrance and geometry.  This would allow a more close-up and personal approach on the wall-top.

Quote from: Chris on February 14, 2016, 12:25:26 AM
Perhaps Mr. O-M (he may be a professor, but I'm not sure) was referring to Plutarch and others of that time with regard to the beard-pulling in battles statement? He is talking about Alexander's conquest of Persia. Your reference are to much earlier periods.

Plutarch refers to Alexander copying an Oriental military custom.  It would presumably have to be Achaemenid, as apart from the odd Egyptian revolt there was really nobody else with armies in the Near East at the time, which would put it post-500BC-ish and would mean that the Achaemenids had already found good reason to discourage their soldiery from wearing beards.  This in turn implies that close combat was a regular part of the Achaemenid repertoire, but that is another story.

I wonder if there are references of mentions of beard-pulling in sources describing military actions between 250 BC and let's say, 850 AD. Cannot expect that there would be a great number given the shield and sword combination preventing the grabbing of chin whiskers.

The number would also probably be low c.500BC - AD400 on account of the Achaemenid, Alexandrian and Roman troops' custom of shaving. 

The other problem we would face is that it is rare for anything like this to be mentioned in our sources unless it happens to someone of importance. 
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill