News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Bannau Brycheiniog: Views on national park's name change

Started by Imperial Dave, April 18, 2023, 06:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

100%

always good to discuss local history and the like
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on April 22, 2023, 05:12:57 PM100%

always good to discuss local history and the like

Bravo at trying to steer us toward the history, rather than the politics Dave  :) However, the history is complicated - many English speakers are Welsh going back many generations, many places are known by their inhabitants by anglicised names and changing them needs to be approached with caution and respect for the locals.

Is there a military history dimension still left in this?  Sorry to ask, but it is my job as moderator.

Imperial Dave

I grew up 500 yards from 'Harold's Lodge' in Portskewett... does that count?
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on April 22, 2023, 05:37:04 PMI grew up 500 yards from 'Harold's Lodge' in Portskewett... does that count?

For those, like me, wondering what this means, I found the wiki page useful.  The military bit seems tenuous to me but being one of the three chief ports of Wales was impressive - I love a triad  :) Another great port that silted up. 

Imperial Dave

ah but the lodge was sacked by Caradog ap Gruffydd during 1065 during uncertainty in the 1060s after Harold killed Gruffyd ap Llylewyn in 1063. It is oft said (without basis) that had there been no bad blood between Harold and Caradog there may have been Welshmen at the Battle of Hastings.....
Slingshot Editor

Cantabrigian

Quote from: Erpingham on April 22, 2023, 05:33:37 PMIs there a military history dimension still left in this?  Sorry to ask, but it is my job as moderator.
Fair question.  I don't think there is ti what I'm saying, so I'll happily shut up!

Cantabrigian

OK, ok, I couldn't resist....

Contributions to maintaining Welsh culture evaluated:

Changing the name of the Brecon Beacons: 1 point.

Boxes of fudge with pictures of women wearing red shawls and black hats: minus two points.

Blowing the roof off the Principality Stadium with a rendition of probably the best national anthem in the world: 5000 points

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Cantabrigian on April 23, 2023, 10:21:17 AMOK, ok, I couldn't resist....

Contributions to maintaining Welsh culture evaluated:

Changing the name of the Brecon Beacons: 1 point.

Boxes of fudge with pictures of women wearing red shawls and black hats: minus two points.

Blowing the roof off the Principality Stadium with a rendition of probably the best national anthem in the world: 5000 points

Not to mention the best flag
Slingshot Editor