News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Stone anchors found in River Wear could reveal Roman port

Started by Imperial Dave, March 20, 2021, 08:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Webster

One of the old OS three miles to the inch maps included Cumbria and Galloway and Man, and it certainly gave a genuine feel for the importance the sea as the road linking these together

DBS

Quote from: Holly on March 24, 2021, 11:18:12 AM
Not sure how much of the 'Western Seaboard' trend that became apparent in the 5th and especially 6th Centuries would have found its effects felt that far north but it is a consideration. Mediterranean traders were often more inclined to use the Western approaches to Britain
Barry Cunliffe's Facing the Ocean is excellent on the topic of the Lisbon to Hebrides cultural links from the Neolithic to the Medieval period.

The other thought that occurs is the "Palmyrene" tombstones from the north-east.  Regardless of whether one links Regina's in South Shields with Barathes' in Corbridge (and the latter was a reused stone, so exact provenance in the area unknown), I personally wonder whether a Palmyrene merchant, even if a logistics contractor for the legions, would have been slumming it in a humble vicus outside a fort.  After all, Regina's tombstone shows her as a lady of some wealth and class.  I therefore wonder whether or not there was somewhere more upmarket for them to reside than alongside auxiliaries' concubines.
David Stevens

Anton

Cunliffe is always worth a read.

Regina had been, and maybe still was, I forget, a slave.  That she had a British  tribal identity on her tomb stone suggests she had once been free.  So at best a Freed Woman when she died.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: DBS on March 24, 2021, 03:33:12 PM
Quote from: Holly on March 24, 2021, 11:18:12 AM
Not sure how much of the 'Western Seaboard' trend that became apparent in the 5th and especially 6th Centuries would have found its effects felt that far north but it is a consideration. Mediterranean traders were often more inclined to use the Western approaches to Britain
Barry Cunliffe's Facing the Ocean is excellent on the topic of the Lisbon to Hebrides cultural links from the Neolithic to the Medieval period.

The other thought that occurs is the "Palmyrene" tombstones from the north-east.  Regardless of whether one links Regina's in South Shields with Barathes' in Corbridge (and the latter was a reused stone, so exact provenance in the area unknown), I personally wonder whether a Palmyrene merchant, even if a logistics contractor for the legions, would have been slumming it in a humble vicus outside a fort.  After all, Regina's tombstone shows her as a lady of some wealth and class.  I therefore wonder whether or not there was somewhere more upmarket for them to reside than alongside auxiliaries' concubines.

thanks for the nod
Slingshot Editor

DBS

Yes, she had been a slave, but was freed and recognised by Barathes as his wife, and, as I say, portrayed in death - accurately or otherwise - as a dignified Roman matron.

Purely speculation on my part, but I just have a feeling that the tombstone, and the very presence of a Palmyrene of some apparent standing in the north-east, possibly point to something beyond the bare "military plus" societal environment.
David Stevens