News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

5 Sites That Tell the Story of Early Anglo-Saxon England

Started by Imperial Dave, March 25, 2021, 09:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

dont know where I have been hiding but never seen an artistic representation of Sutton Hoo before
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on March 26, 2021, 10:17:24 AM
dont know where I have been hiding but never seen an artistic representation of Sutton Hoo before

This strongly suggests you've never been to Sutton Hoo :)

Talking of artistic representations , do you think Angus McBride gets a credit for the figures copied directly from the Osprey Arthur and the Anglo-Saxon Wars, plate B :)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on March 26, 2021, 10:25:25 AM
Quote from: Holly on March 26, 2021, 10:17:24 AM

This strongly suggests you've never been to Sutton Hoo :)

Talking of artistic representations , do you think Angus McBride gets a credit for the figures copied directly from the Osprey Arthur and the Anglo-Saxon Wars, plate B :)

sadly not...other side of the island to me. Yes, I would hope he does get the credit for that one!
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

In days before the pestilence, people were known to move about on the island .  Why, I've even been to that bit that sticks out on the west side - Wales they call it :)

It is a funny place.  Without the interpretation centre, its just a grassy field with some bumps in it.  But if you know what it is, and you are feeling a bit Romantic, and the weather is good, it can be a nice experience being there.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on March 26, 2021, 10:59:43 AM
5 hour drive for me. love to go one day

Not really one for the day trip, I agree.  We did it as part of a short East Anglian holiday.  Nice part of the country (if a bit flat)  but plenty of medieval and Roman stuff especially.  IIRC, when we went to Sutton Hoo we spent one night at a pub in Dunwich as part of our "lost towns of the Middle Ages" collection.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on March 26, 2021, 10:59:43 AM
5 hour drive for me. love to go one day

We fitted it in on a trip to see wife's parents in Essex
Went down one side of the country and back up the other, even went south of the Thames and saw Fishbourne Roman palace/villa as well

Imperial Dave

alas my wife is not very interested in such things and I no longer have the pretence of having small children I can drag along to such things
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on March 26, 2021, 02:44:40 PM
alas my wife is not very interested in such things and I no longer have the pretence of having small children I can drag along to such things

I am fortunate in this regard in that my wife is equally keen on historical sites.  She also ensures we do enough post-medieval stuff (grand houses especially) on our trips.  And gardens.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on March 26, 2021, 02:44:40 PM

A bit like my daughter, she and her friend used to borrow a the friend's little sister so they had an excuse to go to watch the films they wanted to see without loss of street cred  8)

Imperial Dave

it was amazing how many castles and villas I managed to visit when the ids were small and pliable
Slingshot Editor

timurilank