News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Bangor University's Centre for Arthurian Studies to open next week

Started by Imperial Dave, January 17, 2017, 11:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Imperial Dave

King Arthur: Go and tell your master that we have been charged by God with a sacred quest. If he will give us food and shelter for the night, he can join us in our quest for the Holy Grail.
French Soldier: Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he will be very keen. Uh, he's already got one, you see.
King Arthur: What?
Sir Galahad: He said they've already got one!
King Arthur: Are you sure he's got one?
French Soldier: Oh yes, it's very nice!

:)
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Sharur

Ah, the Holy Grail; reached it at last!

I think my favourite "Girly Halo"* is the tablet computer version presaged by Wolfram von Eschenbach in Book 9 of his Parzival (c. early 13th century). That was a magically-pure stone, descended from heaven carried by angels, around whose edge formed and disappeared once read, inscriptions that passed on information to those the stone considered sufficiently worthy to see it, and read the texts. (Others, particularly the unbaptised, might not even be able to physically see the Grail-stone at all.) It also provided magical sustenance to its chosen servants, could renew from its ashes the phoenix, and was powered by a "holy battery", a small white wafer from heaven, delivered to it annually by a white messenger van dove on Good Friday.

What's not to love about Arthuriana? :D

[* Sorry; once you know the anagram, there's no going back...]