News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Cumbrian discoveries

Started by Imperial Dave, March 04, 2024, 09:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keraunos

With so much archaeology going on around you, all you folks in Britain could say you are in dig nation  ;)

Imperial Dave

Don't have a dig at me about it... :P
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

It isn't all that surprising as the line of the A66 (along with the other east west links) is largely determined by geography, so it will have been an important route for a long time.
A lot of archaeology hasn't 'happened' in the area because its only when you have major road schemes that you get the funding as part of the scheme. This is a major factor, I remember one archaeologist saying that our picture of Roman Britain changed markedly when the M1 and A1 were upgraded  ;)

Imperial Dave

all too true.

new roads please

:)
Slingshot Editor

Keraunos

We got some people from the Museum of London to do digs in advance of the West Rail project in Hong Kong.  It transformed understanding of the pattern of settlement in the "inland area" of the New Territories.  It also provoked a crisis with the modern day village elders.  The children were so excited with what the archaeologists were doing and finding that they took to digging up the paths all around their villages.  I had to deal with many complaints about the malign influence of archaeologists!

Mark G

These elders missed a trick.

Wait till planting season, then agree to the dig, and tell the kids to try those fields over there

Nick Elsden

Hello Kim, sorry about the paths, I had never heard that, hopefully we left the seeds for a new generation of archaeologists in Hong Kong ...

Regards from one of the malign influences !

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor