News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Christian graffiti on Hadrian's Wall chalice

Started by Duncan Head, August 29, 2020, 03:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

QuoteA 5th-century chalice covered in religious iconography has been discovered in Northumberland, to the astonishment of archaeologists, who describe it as Britain's first known example of Christian graffiti on an object.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/29/hadrians-wall-dig-reveals-oldest-christian-graffiti-on-chalice
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

Quote from: Duncan Head on August 29, 2020, 03:28:35 PM
QuoteA 5th-century chalice covered in religious iconography has been discovered in Northumberland, to the astonishment of archaeologists, who describe it as Britain's first known example of Christian graffiti on an object.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/29/hadrians-wall-dig-reveals-oldest-christian-graffiti-on-chalice

I'm more surprised by a 'lead' chalice. Do they mean pewter?

Duncan Head

I've come across mediaeval lead chalices, so maybe the Romans used it too.
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

Quote from: Duncan Head on August 29, 2020, 06:06:01 PM
I've come across mediaeval lead chalices, so maybe the Romans used it too.

I confess they're new to me!
Which to be fair doesn't invalidate their existence  :)

Erpingham

From the 9th century, chalices were supposed to be made of gold or silver.  Tin was permitted in poor churches and in the Middle Ages, pewter was used, especially for burial chalices.  It may be that a lead chalice was all a church stuck on Hadrians Wall could afford. 

Imperial Dave

good for shortening the lives of the congregation!
Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Here is a picture of the chalice in itss museum setting

Mark G

I'm tempted to ask whether the daily mail reports young people as responsible for the breakage.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Mark G on August 31, 2020, 08:28:22 PM
I'm tempted to ask whether the daily mail reports young people as responsible for the breakage.

no doubt at some point. that or migrants.....
Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Quote from: Holly on August 31, 2020, 09:46:34 PMno doubt at some point. that or migrants.....

Bloody Picts, coming down here and breaking our chalices...
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

Quote from: Duncan Head on August 31, 2020, 10:24:24 PM
Quote from: Holly on August 31, 2020, 09:46:34 PMno doubt at some point. that or migrants.....

Well when you'll looking for something useful to loot and have some hopes of silver, a lead chalice is just so infuriating!

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Duncan Head on August 31, 2020, 10:24:24 PM

;D genuinely made me laugh.....thanks for the pick me up Duncan
Slingshot Editor