News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Warrior skeletons reveal Bronze Age Europeans couldn’t drink milk

Started by Imperial Dave, September 07, 2020, 03:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Ade G

The last line is a bit strange - you don't "need" to drink cow's milk...

Imperial Dave

indeed and even now quite a few people are lactose intolerant
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on September 07, 2020, 07:41:16 PM

figures vary depending on average age and ethnic group but apparently the figure in the UK is about 16%

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Jim Webster on September 07, 2020, 08:09:15 PM
Quote from: Holly on September 07, 2020, 07:41:16 PM

figures vary depending on average age and ethnic group but apparently the figure in the UK is about 16%

I'm one of them......
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

true Nick although I buy Arla so all is good. If I had to drink coffee with soya milk I think I would have a massive strop
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Bad luck on the lactose intolerance Dave.  No.2 daughter also has this, fortunately quite mildly, but it is a pain.

On the question of milk, is the advantage drinking it or having a useful nutritious ingredient?  I drink virtually no milk as milk.  I mix it into other drinks, mix it with grains, nuts and seeds, boil it with oats and consumme lots of it processed into spreads and solids.  Given the difficulty of preserving and carrying milk about, cooking, butter and cheese making may have been the real draw of milk.

Anton

Lactose persistence is great asset for peoples on the move.  Your food can travel with you on its own steam.  As long as you can secure grazing you are in business.  If you have mixed livestock of goats, sheep and cattle your options are even greater.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on September 08, 2020, 10:00:04 AM
Bad luck on the lactose intolerance Dave.  No.2 daughter also has this, fortunately quite mildly, but it is a pain.

yes the odd bought of cramps when not careful but even small amounts leads to be blaming the dogs for misdemeanours...... 
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on September 08, 2020, 12:48:00 PM
Quote from: Erpingham on September 08, 2020, 10:00:04 AM

yes the odd bought of cramps when not careful but even small amounts leads to be blaming the dogs for misdemeanours......

Somehow familiar.

"Molly!"
"It was the cat!"
"It was not the cat"

:)

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Mark G

Some things in life you only do once.

Giving house kept dogs tripe is top of the list.