News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

'Lost' city of Dunwich mapped by Southampton University

Started by Imperial Dave, December 05, 2016, 09:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Its an odd place to visit.  A small village with a couple of pubs and a bit of medieval stonework.  Yet once a major port. 

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Duncan Head on December 06, 2016, 09:07:42 AM
Until destroyed by the Dunwich Horror?

;D

By something much more permanent and arguably less Lovecraftian: the sea.

This did not stop it from sending MPs (two of them) to Parliament until the First Reform Act of 1832.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

It seems to have been a loose model for the constituency of Dunny-on-the-Wold in a certain TV series which included a future Time Team presenter.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Tim

Holly

In those days MPs did not get exes - they used their own money... Not saying 15th -19th century democracy was any better but it was a damn sight cheaper for the taxpayer...

Swampster

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on December 06, 2016, 11:59:51 AM
Quote from: Duncan Head on December 06, 2016, 09:07:42 AM
Until destroyed by the Dunwich Horror?

;D

By something much more permanent and arguably less Lovecraftian: the sea.

This did not stop it from sending MPs (two of them) to Parliament until the First Reform Act of 1832.

But who, or nameless unutterable what, sent the sea, with its writhing dead yet not dead things deep in its darkest abyss.

Now I read this back, that sounds like a description of parliament too.

Patrick Waterson

Sharur

Channel 4's Time Team did one of their programmes on Dunwich back in 2011, I think. You can still find it on YouTube if you want to.

For other aspects of the lost city, it's worth visiting the Dunwich.org website, which has photos, maps, and factual details on the historical and archaeological elements, while if you're feeling especially keen you can find a free PDF download of Thomas Gardner's tome "An Historical Account of Dunwich..." (the complete title goes on for a full page) from MDCCLIV (or 1854, if you prefer) via Google Books here (the full URL's only slightly shorter than the title...).

In respect to the Lovecraftian Dunwich, there are suspicions voiced online in places that anglophile Lovecraft may have been influenced by tales of the vanished coastal city in some of his tales, if probably not his Dunwich, which was set well inland. The Wikipedia Dunwich page also mentions a folkloric tale "The Dark Heart of Dunwich", an apparently old ghost story of sorts, although I haven't managed to find a copy of the tale online as yet, if so (Wikipedia gives no reference for it either).

Imperial Dave

brilliant link and info Alastair. I must have missed that Time Team episode although I kind of went off the boil with it in the later series.
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on December 10, 2016, 08:30:16 AM
brilliant link and info Alastair. I must have missed that Time Team episode although I kind of went off the boil with it in the later series.

It wasn't an earth shattering one.  IIRC it was looking at origins of the town ditch (which still exists on the lanward side and various excavations around the remaining abbey.  The trenches were still there, unbackfilled, when I visited a couple of years later.

Imperial Dave

It is when someone else has done the leg work and saved you the bother Alastair! ie the brilliance was that I didnt have to go and look it up myself :)
Slingshot Editor