News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Forgotten Castle Rediscovered

Started by Imperial Dave, May 27, 2023, 12:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

Looks like "forgotten" is a bit of an exaggeration - some people always knew it was there. I'll be interested if they do find anything much about the site's earlier history.
Duncan Head

Erpingham

The fact that it and the associated village are both called Fenny Castle must have been a big hint.  With a name like that, I wonder if we are looking at a fortification on what was once an island in wetland.  Seems probable based on the photos taken from the top visible online. Dave may feel free to rush in with a post-Roman fortification theory at this point  :)

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Swampster

"Some of the villagers had forgotten the castle was there."

More like 'some of the villagers never thought twice about anything historical in the vicinity'.
Probably the same in most places.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Swampster on May 28, 2023, 08:25:52 PM"Some of the villagers had forgotten the castle was there."

More like 'some of the villagers never thought twice about anything historical in the vicinity'.
Probably the same in most places.

How many of the villagers lived there thirty years ago? Remember a lot of these places have pretty high rates of population churn as people move into the area in middle age, and when they die their house tends to be too expensive for the younger generation. A lot of villages are losing their history because they're becoming dormitories for nearby (or not so nearby) urban areas

Imperial Dave

This is very true and one aspect/consequwnce of gentrification
Slingshot Editor

Cantabrigian

Hmm, when was the last time you met the chair of the local history society, and they were in their twenties?

Jim Webster

Quote from: Cantabrigian on May 29, 2023, 04:28:13 PMHmm, when was the last time you met the chair of the local history society, and they were in their twenties?

I know one local town with one, but none of the villages. There again, I'm not the sort of person people invite to join local history societies  :)