News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Time Team returns to our screens to excavate Roman Villa discovered nr Broughton

Started by Imperial Dave, March 16, 2021, 09:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Erpingham

The next challenge is to find out how to pronounce it. 

Browton, Brawton, Bruffton are ones I've come across.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on March 17, 2021, 08:16:48 PM
Quote from: RichT on March 17, 2021, 07:12:19 PM
Brawton, indubitably.

I concur

Is your concurrence based on actual knowledge or just that the Brawton pronunciation seems more common?

RichT

Quote from: Erpingham on March 18, 2021, 08:53:12 AM
based on actual knowledge or just that the Brawton pronunciation seems more common?

What's the difference? In cases like this, the more common pronunciation is the actual one.

Bro-ton is another contender I believe (Domesday might support that). I've always said Brawton and friends in Banbury say Brawton. It's a while since I've been there (the castle) so I can't swear to what the people there say; but for some reason I don't have any doubts it's Brawton so either some part of my brain remembers, or I'm losing my marbles. Even money.

I can't answer for Dave's concurrence of course - with luck he is Broughton born and bred?

I wonder what Time Team will say.

Erpingham

Thanks Richard.  You clearly have enough local knowledge to vouch for the pronunciation and I will happily go with that.  The one I grew up near (in Northamptonshire) is a Browton.

Always try to get the local pronunciation in these matters, I reckon. 

RichT

Happily Fiona Bruce agrees (40 secs in), so my marbles remain intact, for now.

Just be grateful it's not in Kirkcudbright or on Maoile Lunndaidh.

Erpingham

Quote from: RichT on March 18, 2021, 09:57:11 AM

Or Slaithewaite.  Or Appletreewick for that matter :)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: RichT on March 18, 2021, 09:57:11 AM

exactly  :)
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

If you want a real challenge, you should try the capital of Thailand.  It is written

กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยา มหาดิลกภพ นพรัตนราชธานีบูรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์มหาสถาน อมรพิมานอวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยวิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์

but most of the locals just use the first two syllables 'Krung Thep'.  Incidentally, the translation of the above is

'City of angels, great city of immortals, magnificent city of the nine gems, seat of the king, city of royal palaces, home of gods incarnate, erected by Vishvakarman at Indra's behest'

Quite a mouthful and easily beating the name of anywhere in Wales or Northamptonshire.

8)
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Nick Harbud