News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

The Medi-evil Yorkshire Dead

Started by Duncan Head, April 03, 2017, 09:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

interesting although I wonder where they got the idea that they would rise from the dead...?

Yorkshire again I notice though.... :)
Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Yes; perhaps the risen dead were looking for their undead chariot-horses?
Duncan Head

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on April 03, 2017, 09:40:04 AM
interesting although I wonder where they got the idea that they would rise from the dead...?

Norse ancestry?

Tim

Is that is anyway related to the Chariot Norses...?

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on April 03, 2017, 10:11:09 AM
Quote from: Holly on April 03, 2017, 09:40:04 AM

Norse ancestry?

interesting....would fit the area
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

The archaeologists think the bodies were dug up and 'treated' soon after burial, which indicates someone had seen, or thought he had seen, the deceased individuals concerned on walkabout.  A classical person would say they saw the shades, an esotericist the etheric doubles, of the individuals concerned - a 20th century individual might (with some hesitation) refer to ghosts.

The mediaeval Yorkshireman would shudder at ancestral tales of draugr and aftergangers, and here the course of action would vary.  A classical person would set up a shrine and make offerings to the shades of the dead, an esotericist would do his best to banish the leftover energy patterns, while a mediaeval community would either go to their priest and if this produced no result take action themselves or would bypass the priest entirely and meet in the dark of night with pick, torch, shovel and axe to put dead in proper place.

One can imagine the faces at the next church service when the priest got round to the topic of the resurrection of the dead.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Andreas Johansson

An anthropologist might characterize what they were thought or feared to be as vampires. Think less Bram Stoker or Anne Rice and more 18C vampire panics in Central Europe.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

Erpingham

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on April 04, 2017, 11:48:00 AM
An anthropologist might characterize what they were thought or feared to be as vampires. Think less Bram Stoker or Anne Rice and more 18C vampire panics in Central Europe.

Wharram Percy isn't that far from Whitby.  Co-incidence?

My money, however, is on a fear of Draugr.  Corporeal ghosts are mentioned in medieval stories from the North of England, including from Byland Abbey, again not far from Wharram Percy.

Andreas Johansson

Quote from: Erpingham on April 04, 2017, 12:00:07 PM
My money, however, is on a fear of Draugr.  Corporeal ghosts are mentioned in medieval stories from the North of England, including from Byland Abbey, again not far from Wharram Percy.
The anthropological definition of "vampire" is pretty wide and can easily include a draugr.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

Imperial Dave

alternatively a local may have gotten slightly* pissed on homebrew and swear he saw a dead person roaming the streets at night.....

(*quite alot)
Slingshot Editor