News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Early Byzantines

Started by gavindbm, August 10, 2012, 05:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gavindbm

Hi Folks,

Having recentl read the Strategikon and some other stuff about the early Byzantines (aka Justinian and Heraclius) I'm struck by the apparent lack of 25mm/28mm figures for the period.  Only the stalwarts of Irregular Miniatures and Essex Miniatures seem to be available.  Anyone know any better? 

Also anyone know any good books on Heraclius' military campaigns and battles?

Regards,

Gavin

Mick Hession

I found First Crusader: Byzantium's Holy Wars by Geoffrey Regan to be a good introduction.

Cheers
Mick 

aligern

It might be a bit expensive, but getting hold of. Theophylact Simocatta Is likely to be the best available contemporary source on Maurice's campaigns.
Haldon's booksonByzantine battles and warfare are good too. A source forHeraclius is George of Pisidia , but I cannot find this in translation,tell me ifyoudo!!

Roy

Mark

I like Kaegi's bio on Heraclius, though it's not a military history as such.

On figures, I use Gripping Beast & Foundry late Romans, though they're arguably a bit early for the period in question.

Mark

Quote from: aligern on August 10, 2012, 08:06:48 PM
It might be a bit expensive, but getting hold of. Theophylact Simocatta Is likely to be the best available contemporary source on Maurice's campaigns.
Haldon's booksonByzantine battles and warfare are good too. A source forHeraclius is George of Pisidia , but I cannot find this in translation,tell me ifyoudo!!

Roy

See here on George of Pisidia. It claims there is a translation in process from Mary Whitby, which is presumably hidden inside some other book ... but it's a place to start.

http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.com/pdf/13/9780199694990.pdf