News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Maniple standards in Polybian Armies.

Started by Some call me Tim, February 01, 2013, 09:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Some call me Tim

Can some one help me with a question I've had for a while.

I have read in several texts that the standard for a maniple, at least initially, was literally a handful of straw tied to a pole /shaft. Had this practice died out by the (2nd) Punic War? Is so, did the maniple have a standard? Or was it at century level? And what was it?

Regards,

Robert

Patrick Waterson

Livy VIII.8 gives each maniple a standard-bearer (in 340 BC) so we can safely assume that each maniple still had a standard as of that date.

Polybius VI.23 (writing in the 2nd century BC) gives each maniple two 'signiferi', standard-bearers, so in the 'Polybian' (Punic Wars) legion we can conclude that each century had a standard, the maniple having two.

Exactly what the manipular standard was I do not know.  Sorry.  One can surmise that it was of more permanent form than the original straw bundle, as it had to last through the rigours of an extended campaign.

Patrick
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Swampster

Pliny (X.5) says that before Marius the 'ordos' carried the five various standards - eagle, wolf, minotaur, horse, boar. Whether he is using ordo in a strict sense of those units containing the triarii or a broader sense to include the centuries or maniples of the others is debateable.

P.

Duncan Head

Quote from: Some call me Tim on February 01, 2013, 09:20:56 AM
I have read in several texts that the standard for a maniple, at least initially, was literally a handful of straw tied to a pole /shaft. Had this practice died out by the (2nd) Punic War? Is so, did the maniple have a standard? Or was it at century level? And what was it?
The (or at least, an) original source for the handful of straw is Ovid, Fasti III.118. We don't really know if the "handful of straw" was ever real, or was just some sort of folk-etymology around manipulus.

As Patrick says, Polybios Book VI says two standard-bearers to a maniple, which would equate to one per century though that is not how he phrases it. There are what appear to be maniple-standards - marked H and P for Hastati and Principes - on a number of first-century Roman coins, such as http://tinyurl.com/aco5kjh; but we don't know if they were used as early as the Punic Wars. (Note that Nick Sekunda uses them in his Osprey reconstruction of "Polybian" standard-bearers).
Duncan Head

Some call me Tim

Many thanks for the replies!

This is the kind of thing that made me join the Society - friendly, knowledgable people who are happy to help. I think I'll stay in the SoA for the rest of my life.

Anyway, while there is no real answer, I got what I wanted. I have a couple of different standard bearing figures in my Polybian Roman DBA army. Now I have some form of justification for thm lol.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Rob Grierson