News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Very late Roman mosaic floor

Started by Jim Webster, December 10, 2020, 08:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

I am amazed that Dave has not linked it to an Arthur/Dux B origin...

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on December 10, 2020, 09:20:43 PM
patience my padawan friend..... ;D

Camelot obviously had superior décor   8)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Jim Webster on December 10, 2020, 09:25:58 PM
Quote from: Holly on December 10, 2020, 09:20:43 PM
patience my padawan friend..... ;D

Camelot obviously had superior décor   8)

The Dux obviously thought it was important to make an impression....
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Tim on December 10, 2020, 09:19:38 PM
I am amazed that Dave has not linked it to an Arthur/Dux B origin...

"And when Arthur came home from campaign, he was pleased to see Guinevere had been getting on with some interior decorating in the latest continental styles.  Those connections to Armorica that came with the job were paying dividends."

Imperial Dave

I did read somewhere that there was still some uncertainty about this latest dating but it was on Twitter and cant find it now...
Slingshot Editor

aligern

Chedworth is only a couple of miles away. It is close to the Fosse way and  to Cirencester which was a Roman road hub.  The area was lijely Romanised  until the battle of Dyrrham (577?) when Cirencester, Bath and Gloucester fell. There is a plausible suggestion that the battle of Badon is sited near the village of Baydon with the hill fort at  Liddington or at Badbury Rings being a potential site. Strategically these command two Roman roads from the South and East and woukd be a good place to garrison against forces moving up from Sussex or from Kent. However, I am not aware offany archaeology backing the idea of a fixed garrison.  However, there might only be troops stationed there when the Saxons approached.  They could then await the arrival of a mounted force.
As to mosaic, you create tesserae from sheets of stone or marble  ( unless they are clay)  which are then split with a hammer on a blade set in a block of wood, a 'hardie''. Chedworth being close to Cirencesterwould  offer access to old, recyclable mosaics in decaying buildings and perhaps chaps with appropriate skills, after all there was likely building maintenance going on even in the early sixth century.
Roy

Imperial Dave

Quote from: aligern on December 11, 2020, 10:45:42 AM
Chedworth is only a couple of miles away. It is close to the Fosse way and  to Cirencester which was a Roman road hub.  The area was lijely Romanised  until the battle of Dyrrham (577?) when Cirencester, Bath and Gloucester fell. There is a plausible suggestion that the battle of Badon is sited near the village of Baydon with the hill fort at  Liddington or at Badbury Rings being a potential site. Strategically these command two Roman roads from the South and East and woukd be a good place to garrison against forces moving up from Sussex or from Kent. However, I am not aware offany archaeology backing the idea of a fixed garrison.  However, there might only be troops stationed there when the Saxons approached.  They could then await the arrival of a mounted force.
As to mosaic, you create tesserae from sheets of stone or marble  ( unless they are clay)  which are then split with a hammer on a blade set in a block of wood, a 'hardie''. Chedworth being close to Cirencesterwould  offer access to old, recyclable mosaics in decaying buildings and perhaps chaps with appropriate skills, after all there was likely building maintenance going on even in the early sixth century.
Roy

Dyrham (Deorham) is another of those fascinating battles that gives us tantalising information but not great detail. One I have studied and done groundwork/visits for
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Some years ago I visited the villa at Casale in Sicily.  It is widely believed that this villa was built for the Governor of Sicily during the late 3rd or early 4th centuries, meaning it is somewhat removed both geographically and chronologically from anything in this thread.  Nevertheless, it is a very large edifice with probably the most extensive mosaic floors that I have ever seen, all well-preserved thanks to being burind following an earthquake.

Anyway, the local guide was very good at pointing out the different styles of the mosaics in the various rooms.  Her opinion was that this was not any great or deliberate artistic gesture, but merely the result of the owner being in a hurry.  One can imagine he wanted a fully accoutred palace suitable for impressing the locals in the least possible time.  Therefore, several different mosaic floor-laying teams were summoned from as far away as Africa and even Britannia.  It appears they were simply told to get on with it and lay floors in their designated rooms.

Sometimes the simple explanations are the best.   :-\
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Quote from: NickHarbud on December 11, 2020, 03:59:52 PM
Some years ago I visited the villa at Casale in Sicily.  It is widely believed that this villa was built for the Governor of Sicily during the late 3rd or early 4th centuries, meaning it is somewhat removed both geographically and chronologically from anything in this thread.  Nevertheless, it is a very large edifice with probably the most extensive mosaic floors that I have ever seen, all well-preserved thanks to being burind following an earthquake.

Anyway, the local guide was very good at pointing out the different styles of the mosaics in the various rooms.  Her opinion was that this was not any great or deliberate artistic gesture, but merely the result of the owner being in a hurry.  One can imagine he wanted a fully accoutred palace suitable for impressing the locals in the least possible time.  Therefore, several different mosaic floor-laying teams were summoned from as far away as Africa and even Britannia.  It appears they were simply told to get on with it and lay floors in their designated rooms.

Sometimes the simple explanations are the best.   :-\

Builders of such renown in the ancient worlds as Bodgeitus et Scarperus
Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on December 12, 2020, 07:09:21 PM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1337677868499922944

Nice
It does occur to me that as more and more stuff does get excavated, some of the simple old certainties are going to fade slowly into the background

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Jim Webster on December 12, 2020, 08:55:31 PM
Quote from: Holly on December 12, 2020, 07:09:21 PM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1337677868499922944

Nice
It does occur to me that as more and more stuff does get excavated, some of the simple old certainties are going to fade slowly into the background

and that is why we must keep digging....
Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster