News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

1200-year-old Pictish stone found in Easter Ross to be shown in Dingwall Museum

Started by Imperial Dave, December 10, 2020, 07:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBS

As best as I can make out, seems to have a kneeling figure with short sword and buckler in what looks to be a hunting scene?
David Stevens

Erpingham

The pencil drawing interprets it as a mythological scene, with a bird or animal headed figure attacked by a centaur with an axe, accompanied by what appears to be a lion.  The bird headed fellow and his dog may be protecting a herd of cattle.

I must admit, from the pictures, I'm sure neither of the bird head or the centaur, and a human cattle herd and dog facing off against wild beasts seems possible.

DBS

Quote from: Erpingham on December 11, 2020, 09:56:49 AM
The pencil drawing interprets it as a mythological scene, with a bird or animal headed figure attacked by a centaur with an axe, accompanied by what appears to be a lion.  The bird headed fellow and his dog may be protecting a herd of cattle.

I must admit, from the pictures, I'm sure neither of the bird head or the centaur, and a human cattle herd and dog facing off against wild beasts seems possible.
Also, a centaur would require a very specific spot of Greek mythological importation.
David Stevens

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Quote from: DBS on December 11, 2020, 10:14:10 AM
Also, a centaur would require a very specific spot of Greek mythological importation.
It wouldn't be the first centaur on a Pictish stone - the Glamis no.2 stone has a centaur wielding two axes, and there's an odd-looking one on the Maiden stone.
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Duncan Head on December 11, 2020, 10:46:36 AM
Quote from: DBS on December 11, 2020, 10:14:10 AM
It wouldn't be the first centaur on a Pictish stone - the Glamis no.2 stone has a centaur wielding two axes, and there's an odd-looking one on the Maiden stone.

thanks Duncan, I stand corrected. That canmore site is very good...
Slingshot Editor

DBS

David Stevens