News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Perth Pictish monolith sheds new light on warriors' history

Started by Imperial Dave, February 19, 2020, 11:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

much appreciated for the insights Duncan and makes sense
Slingshot Editor

Anton

Some were found in Ireland with remains of the shaft.  The wood was dated 3rd-5th century which is interesting.  I'll post a link if I can find it.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Anton

I had a quick google for where door knob spear butts had been found in England without much luck.  I was hoping for a map of finds.  However one turned up in Norfolk in a Late Roman /early medieval context.

Erpingham

There are a few on Portable Antiquities database here.  After main record, see three similar records at bottom.

Anton

Thanks Anthony.

The PAS records door knob spear butt finds in Hampshire, Gloucestershire, Warwickshire, Lincolnshire, Derbyshire, York, East Riding of Yorkshire, Cumbria, East Sussex, North Yorkshire, Telford and Wrekin, Lancashire, Oxfordshire, Staffordshire, Suffolk, and Norfolk county council have another one.  That's a pretty wide spread of finds below the Wall.

Imperial Dave

so the question is....should we be fielding more apple-butted spear(men) in our British armies and in what date range....?
Slingshot Editor

Anton

Maybe, I'm wondering about a link to the large scale incursion of Picts and Scots in the 360s.  The people who used the door knob spear butts seem to have been the Picts and Scots. Molds for the butts have been found in Scotland.  The dating for all seems to be Late Roman/early medieval.  Then we have the partial spear shaft with DKB from Ireland dated from the 3rd to 5th century.

Erpingham

QuoteThe dating for all seems to be Late Roman/early medieval.

Though there is a degree of circularity - the PAS finds aren't from dated contexts so tend to be labelled Late Roman/Medieval because that is how we conventionally date door-knob spear butts.  That said, there are some which are from secure archaeological contexts which do relate to this period.

Anton

Imperial Dave

so, one hypothesis could be that presence of apple butted spears could be evidence to support the incursions of the 4th Century......
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on March 04, 2020, 10:21:15 AM
so, one hypothesis could be that presence of apple butted spears could be evidence to support the incursions of the 4th Century......

Another would be these were more widespread than we initially thought. 

Imperial Dave

agreed and there are several possible scenarios that the evidence so far permits us to examine
Slingshot Editor