News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Imperial Roman winery found

Started by Duncan Head, April 17, 2023, 09:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian61

Good spot Duncan.
I'm such a puritan! Fountains of wine, ugh! like todays chocolate fountains surely the height of vulgarity. Not a thing the stoic emperors such as Marcus Aurelius would have approved of either methinks.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Jim Webster

Erpingham

Quote from: Ian61 on April 17, 2023, 10:42:09 AMNot a thing the stoic emperors such as Marcus Aurelius would have approved of either methinks.

Would this be the same Marcus Aurelius quoted in the report who held parties at another luxury winery, while watching slaves process the harvest?  Doesn't sound so very different :)

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on April 17, 2023, 11:27:08 AMmy dream life....

You aren't letting this "Imperial" thing go to your head, are you?

Ian61

Quote from: Erpingham on April 17, 2023, 10:58:31 AM
Quote from: Ian61 on April 17, 2023, 10:42:09 AMNot a thing the stoic emperors such as Marcus Aurelius would have approved of either methinks.

Would this be the same Marcus Aurelius quoted in the report who held parties at another luxury winery, while watching slaves process the harvest?  Doesn't sound so very different :)

I bow to your wider knowledge, mine is perhaps too coloured by his Meditations which I suppose would be a little biased!
Ian Piper

Erpingham

Quote from: Ian61 on April 17, 2023, 12:08:48 PM
Quote from: Erpingham on April 17, 2023, 10:58:31 AM

I bow to your wider knowledge, mine is perhaps too coloured by his Meditations which I suppose would be a little biased!

Trust me, Ian, I know even less than you about Marcus Aurelius.  The bit about MA and the parties could have been made up by the articles author, for all I know.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Ian61

Quote from: Erpingham on April 17, 2023, 12:34:23 PMTrust me, Ian, I know even less than you about Marcus Aurelius.  The bit about MA and the parties could have been made up by the articles author, for all I know.

I doubt that but the reference was to a differed location and 'just a party'. I don't read much into that, it would probably gone on whether the slaves were harvesting or not - he would have had to keep other influential people 'sweet' and the Romans really didn't think about slaves in any modern way.
Ian Piper