News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Rare Viking 'toolbox' found at Borgring, Denmark

Started by Imperial Dave, December 03, 2016, 08:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Holly on December 03, 2016, 08:34:01 AM
doesnt say why the tools were left there in a chest though....?

"Iron was valuable in Viking-age Denmark, and the researchers think the tools once belonged to a craftsman who occupied a workroom in the gatehouse until it collapsed in the late 10th century."

If that statement is literally true ... pull out the body; tools too far buried to retrieve?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Jim Webster

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on December 03, 2016, 10:48:04 AM
Quote from: Holly on December 03, 2016, 08:34:01 AM
doesnt say why the tools were left there in a chest though....?

"Iron was valuable in Viking-age Denmark, and the researchers think the tools once belonged to a craftsman who occupied a workroom in the gatehouse until it collapsed in the late 10th century."

If that statement is literally true ... pull out the body; tools too far buried to retrieve?

Yes I did wonder where the body of the owner was because I couldn't imagine him being happy to leave them

Imperial Dave

ahhhh, i never thought of the literal sense of the statement!
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

It is an explanation, anyway.

The craftsman's assumed misfortune fortunately gives us a splendid selection of period tools.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill