News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Tintern 'secret' medieval tunnel system found by accident

Started by Imperial Dave, March 04, 2021, 04:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56281726

it might be medieval but not proven yet...

funnily enough I know exactly where this is (being a local) and its about 1000 yards from the Tintern Abbey complex
Slingshot Editor

Mark G

Mmmm what would you want a secret tunnel to the Abbey for.

Will we be seeing a report of secret distillery found, in the near future?

I note it's at 'crawled home in disgrace' height

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

RichT

It looks like a covered leat. There's a water mill at the bottom of the valley, which could be connected.

Imperial Dave

yes and there is an iron works further up the Angiddy
Slingshot Editor

Swampster

The argument will go...
"Tintern artificial watercourse"
"'Tis".

With apologies to the late Terry Wogan

Nick Harbud

Well, this is what happens when Holly, in his enthusiasm, digs the escape tunnel before Mrs H. declares that she "has no intention of living in that place - it's a ruin!"    ;)

Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

lol

the tunnel is in one of our favourite spots the Angiddy Valley with a lovely cafe just down the lane. very nice area indeedy
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

This CADW description may help with forming a view on the use and antiquity of the tunnel.

Seems we have two main choices; monastic grain mills and post medieval iron works.

Imperial Dave

the proximity of all the archaeology is really close so could be anything
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: RichT on March 05, 2021, 09:09:03 AM
It looks like a covered leat. There's a water mill at the bottom of the valley, which could be connected.

That was my first thought as well. It looks like it's been dug as a ditch, a stone floor put in and walls built then a roof added and the whole thing filled.
The stones on the floor even look a bit waterworn and there may be silt there as well